Measurement Practice Questions
1. What will it cost to carpet a room with indoor/outdoor carpet if the room is 10 feet wide and 12 feet long? The carpet costs 12.51 per square yard.
2. If the perimeter of a rectangular house is 44 yards, and the length is 36 feet, what is the width of the house?
- 10 yards
- 18 yards
- 28 feet
- 32 feet
- 36 yards
3. What is the volume of the following cylinder?
4. What is the volume of a cube whose width is 5 inches?
- 15 cubic inches
- 25 cubic inches
- 64 cubic inches
- 100 cubic inches
- 125 cubic inches
5. Sally has three pieces of material. The first piece is 1 yd. 2 ft. 6 in. long, the second piece is 2 yd. 1 ft. 5 in long, and the third piece is 4 yd. 2ft. 8in long. How much material does Sally have?
- 7 yd. 1 ft. 8 in.
- 8 yd. 4 ft. 4 in.
- 8 yd. 11 in.
- 9 yd. 7 in.
- 10 yd.
6. A can's diameter is 3 inches, and its height is 8 inches. What is the volume of the can?
7. If the area of a square flowerbed is 16 square feet, then how many feet is the perimeter of the flowerbed?
8. Of the following units which would be more likely used to measure the amount of water in a bathtub?
9. If a match box is 0.17 feet long, what is its length in inches the most closely comparable to the following?
- 5 1/16 inch highlighter
- 3 1/8 inch jewelry box
- 2 3/4 inch lipstick
- 2 3/16 inch staple remover
- 4 1/2 inch calculator
10. What is the cost in dollars to steam clean a room W yards wide and L yards long it the steam cleaners charge 10 cents per square foot?
11. One inch equals 2.54 cm, How many centimeters tall is a 76 inch man?
- 20 cm
- 29.92 cm
- 193.04 cm
- 300.04 cm
- 593.04 cm
12. A room measures 11 ft x 12 ft x 9 ft. What is the volume?
- 1188 ft3
- 32 ft3
- 120 ft3
- 1300 ft3
- 1350 ft3
13. A vitamin's expiration date has passed. It was supposed to contain 500 mg of Calcium, but it has lost 325 mg of Calcium. How many mg of Calcium are left?
- 135 mg
- 175 mg
- 185 mg
- 200 mg
- 220 mg
14. You have orders to give a patient 20 mg of a certain medication. The medication is stored 4 mg per 5-mL dose. How many milliliters will need to be given?
- 15 mL
- 20 mL
- 25 mL
- 30 mL
- 35 mL
15. You need exactly a 1680 ft3 aquarium for your fish. At the pet store you see four choices of aquariums, but the volume is not listed. The length, width, and height are listed on the box. Which of the following aquariums would fit your needs?
- 12 ft x 12 ft x 12 ft
- 13 ft x 15 ft x 16 ft
- 14 ft x 20 ft x 6 ft
- 15 ft x 16 ft x 12 ft
- 15 ft x 12 ft x 12 ft
16. One slice of bread is 80 calorie. Approximately how many calories are in 2 ½ slices of bread?
- 140 calories
- 200 calories
- 220 calories
- 240 calories
- 260 calories
Answers & Explanations
1. A: The area of the room is equal to the product of 10 ft and 12 ft, or 120 ft². 120 ft² = 13.3 yd², so the total cost is equal to the product of the area of the room, or 13.3 yd² and $12.51 (the cost per square yard). It will cost $166.80 to carpet the room.
2. A: The perimeter of the house is equal to 132 feet, since there are 3 feet in 1 yard. The perimeter of the house may be represented by the equation, 2l + 2w = 132. Substituting 36 for l gives 2(36) + 2w = 132. Solving for w gives w = 30, which is measured in feet. 30 feet = 10 yards, so the width of the house is also equal to 10 yards.
3. B: The volume of a cylinder is represented by the equation, V=πr2 h, where r represents the radius and h represents the height. Substituting 3 for r and 8 for h gives V=π(3)2 (8), or V = 72π. Thus, the volume is approximately 226.2 cubic units.
4. E: The volume of a cube is represented by the equation, V=s3, where s represents one side length. Substituting 5 for s gives V=53, or V = 125. The volume of the cube is 125 cubic inches.
5. D: The sum of the material is equal to 7 yd, 5 ft, 19 in, which may also be written as 7 yd, 6 ft, 7 in, or 9 ft, 7 in.
6. B: The volume of a cylinder is represented by the equation, V=πr2h, where r represents the radius and h represents the height. Substituting 1.5 for r and 8 for h gives V=π(1.5)2 (8), or V = 18π. Thus, the volume is approximately 56.55 cubic inches.
7. C: The area of a square is represented by the formula, A=s2. Substituting 16 for A gives: 16=s2. Solving for s shows each side length to be 4 feet. Thus, the perimeter is equal to the product of 4 and 4 ft, or 16 ft.
8. B: Liters measure capacity and are appropriate for the size of a bathtub. Milliliters are also a measurement of capacity, but are too small a measurement for such a large container.
9. D: A length of 0.17 feet is equal to 2.04 inches. The following proportion may be used to determine the length, in inches: 0.17/x=1/12. A length of 2.1875 inches is the closest to this measurement.
10. A: The area may be represented as A = WL, measured in yards, or A = 9WL, measured in feet. Thus, the charge is equal to the product of 9WL and 0.10 or 0.9WL.
11. C: The following proportion may be used to find the measurement, in centimeters: 1/2.54=76/x. Solving for x gives x = 193.04. The man is 193.04 cm tall.
12. A: The volume of a rectangular prism is equal to the product of the length, width, and height. Thus, the volume of the room may be represented as V=11.12.9, which equals 1188 ft³.
13. B: The number of mg left is equal to the difference of 500 mg and 325 mg, or 175 mg.
14. C: The following proportion may be used to find the number of mL to be given: 4/5=20/x. Solving for x gives x = 25. Thus, 25 mL need to be given.
15. C: The product of these dimensions is 1,680 ft³ (14 ft × 20 ft × 6 ft), thus this aquarium meets the required volume.
16. B: The following proportion may be used to find the number of calories in 2 1/2 slices of bread: 1/80=(2 1/2)/x. Solving for x gives x = 200. There are 200 calories in 2 1/2 slices of bread.
Additional Measurement Practice
by Enoch Morrison
Last Updated: 05/08/2013
© 2013 Copyright | All Rights Reserved
All material on this website is copyrighted. TestPrepReview.com provides free unofficial review materials for a variety of exams.
All trademarks are property of their respective owners.