Reading – Writing – Math – Science. That’s the core of any school curriculum. To teach those subjects in Indiana, educators must pass the Indiana CORE Elementary Education Generalist exam. The exam, administered by the Indiana Core Assessments for Educator Licensure, assesses skills in several of these core areas. It’s a multi-part exam that will test your skills to teach students in these important areas. This guide not only walks you through exam but also offers an excellent study guide to help you prepare.
What is the Indiana CORE Elementary Education Generalist format?
Prepare with our Indiana CORE Elementary Education Generalist Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
The exam has four different subtests:
- Reading and English Language Arts
- Science, Health, and Physical Education
- Social Studies and Fine Arts
How many questions are on each subtest?
Reading and English Language Arts, and Mathematics, each have 50 multiple-choice questions. Science, Health, and Physical Education, and Social Studies and Fine Arts, each have 40 multiple-choice questions.
What is the test time to complete each of the subtests?
Reading and English Language Arts, and Mathematics, each have a test time of 60 minutes. Science, Health, and Physical Education, and Social Studies and Fine Arts, each have a test time of 45 minutes.
Do I have to take all four of the subtests at the same time?
No. You can take them on different days.
I see the Indiana CORE Elementary Education Generalist exam has a math subtest. Can I bring my own calculator on test day?
No. The computer-based test comes with an on-screen calculator.
Do I need to pass all four subtests to pass the exam?
Yes. Candidates must pass each subtest with a minimum score of 220.
When will I receive my score report?
Candidates will receive a preliminary score report at the conclusion of the test. The official report will be available in your test account in about 10 business days.
When can I take the test?
The test is offered all year round, except for some holidays.
Where can I take the test?
Indiana uses a private testing company to deliver the exam. The company has locations in Indiana and across the United States.
What’s on the Indiana CORE Elementary Education Generalist exam?
Indiana CORE Elementary Education Generalist Flashcards. Proven Indiana CORE test flashcards raise your score on the test. Guaranteed.
- Reading and English Language Arts assesses candidates in several content areas including foundations and components of English instruction; text comprehension and analysis; science-based reading instruction; reading development; literary text analysis; English conventions including spelling, grammar, and punctuation; and effective communication.
- Mathematics tests candidate’s knowledge in areas that include number systems and theory; algebra; geometric concepts like similarity and symmetry; ratios; proportions; measurements and units; critical and creative thinking development; and problem-solving.
- Science, Health, and Physical Education topics include physical science; force and motion; weight, volume, and mass; Earth science; engineering and technology; and scientific investigation and inquiry.
- Social Studies and Fine Arts includes Indiana and U.S. history; major developments and events related to Indiana and the United States; world civilization development; government structure; economic theory; and human and physical systems interactions.
What are the fees to take the exam?
The subtests cost $45 each, Candidates who elect to take all the subtests in a single sitting pay $145.
What identification will I need to show on test day?
Candidates must show one piece of government-issued identification, like a driver’s license. The identification must contain a photo and signature.
Can I bring personal items into the test room?
No. There’s a long list of banned items so it’s best to consult the test center rules. In short, candidates are not allowed to bring in electronic devices, like mobile phones, certain items of clothing, and reference materials.
Should I arrive at the test center early?
Yes. Anyone who arrives more than 15 minutes late may not be allowed to take the exam.
What are the best materials I can buy to prepare for the Indiana CORE Elementary Education Generalist exam?
Mometrix has the materials you need. We’re a test preparation company that uses test researchers to develop our study guide and flashcards. Our study guide will walk you through the test areas that tend to confuse students and offer clues on how to find the right answers. Our flashcards are an excellent way to learn because you can take them anywhere. Even if you have just a few minutes, you can still study. These are the study materials you need to help you prepare.
by Enoch Morrison | Last Updated: February 14, 2019