Free STAAR Grade 4 Mathematics Practice Test Questions
1. Which of the following number sentences belongs in the fact family shown below?
7 x 6 = 42
6 x 7 = 42
42 ÷ 7 = 6
a. 7 + 6 = 13
b. 42 ÷ 6 = 7
c. 42 + 7 = 49
d. 42 - 6 = 36
2. Isabelle must drive 1,482 miles. She plans to drive approximately the same number of miles per day over the period of 5 days. Which of the following is the best approximation for the number of miles she will drive per day?
3. Andrew displays the following sets of data to his colleagues. Which of the following represents the relationship between the first and second columns of data?
a. The values in the second column are 12 more than the values in the first column.
b. The values in the first column are one-fourth of the values in the second column.
c. The values in the first column are 11 fewer than the values in the second column.
d. The values in the second column are 3 more than the values in the first column.
4. Morris needs to define an obtuse angle. Which of the following correctly describes the requirements for such an angle?
a. An angle with a measure greater than 180 degrees
b. An angle with a measure greater than 120 degrees
c. An angle with a measure less than 90 degrees
d. An angle with a measure greater than 90 degrees
5. Hannah weighs approximately 27 pounds. What is her approximate weight, in ounces?
a. 432 ounces
b. 378 ounces
c. 324 ounces
d. 438 ounces
6. Which of the following is the most reasonable estimate for the capacity of a bathtub?
a. 5 liters
b. 100 milliliters
c. 25 gallons
d. 180 ounces
7. A gift box has a length of 18 inches, a width of 12 inches, and a height of 8 inches. Which of the following is the best estimate for the volume of the box?
a. 2,400 in"
b. 2,000 in"
c. 1,200 in"
d. 2,800 in"
8. Which of the following figures has more than 6 vertices?
a. triangular prism
c. triangular pyramid
d. square pyramid
9. Which of the following number sentences is represented by the array shown below?
X X X X X X
X X X X X X
X X X X X X
X X X X X X
a. 4 + 6 = 10
b. 4 x 6 = 24
c. 24 - 6 = 18
d. 24 x 3 = 8
10. Which shape is defined using the statement shown below?
A shape with four congruent sides and four right angles
Grade 4 Mathematics Answer Key
1. Answer: B
The missing number sentence in the fact family is the other division number sentence, which reads: 42 ÷ 6 = 7.
2. Answer: B
The distance Isabelle drives can be rounded to 1,500 miles; 1,500 miles divided by 5 days is equal to 300 miles driven per day.
The values in the second column are indeed 12 more than the values in the first column. Note. 16 is 12 more than 4; 19 is 12 more than 7; 24 is 12 more than 12; 26 is 12 more than 14; and 31 is 12 more than 19.
4. Answer: D
An obtuse angle has a measure greater than 90 degrees. It may be greater than 120 degrees, but that is not a requirement.
5. Answer: A
There are 16 ounces in one pound. Thus, her approximate weight, in ounces, is equal to the product of 27 and 16; 27x16=432. She weighs approximately 432 ounces.
6. Answer: C
A normal bathtub holds approximately 25 gallons of water, give or take some gallons. The other choices are much too small.
7. Answer: B
The dimensions of the box round to 20 inches, 10 inches, and 10 inches. The volume of a box can be determined by finding the product of the dimensions. Thus, the approximate volume is equal to 20x10x10, or 2,000 cubic inches.
8. Answer: B
A cube has 8 vertices, with 4 vertices at the top of the cube and 4 more vertices at the bottom of the cube.
9. Answer: B
The array represents the multiplication sentence, 4x6=24. Note. There are 4 rows and 6 x's in each row.
10. Answer: A
A square has four congruent sides and four right angles. A rhombus has four congruent sides, but is not required to have four right angles.
by Enoch Morrison
Last Updated: 12/14/2017