If you are interested in entering the health care field in a variety of occupations, the Psychological Services Bureau (PSB) Health Occupations Aptitude Exam is for you. The PSB’s Health Occupations Aptitude Exam (HOAE) was designed to assess the knowledge, skills, and aptitude of candidates seeking to enter educational programs for health care careers. As such, the goal of the HOAE is to determine potential health care practitioners’ readiness for health care career educational programs.
As you know, the health care field requires prepared, qualified health care professionals. For this reason, the HOAE is a prerequisite for many health care career programs and addresses the prerequisite education and objectives of health care career preparation programs. Typically, you will work with the admissions counselor, adviser, or administrator of your desired educational program to ensure you meet the program’s prerequisites and other admissions requirements before embarking on the HOAE.
Exam Content and Structure
The HOAE is comprised of five individual tests combined to assess the specific knowledge, skills, and abilities needed for success in your chosen health care career preparation program and eventual career. Test takers are given 2.5 hours to complete the HOAE, which is a web-based exam administered via computer. The five test sections, number of questions per section, and time allotted for each section are as follows:
- The first section of the HOAE covers academic aptitude. You will be given 40 minutes to complete the 75 questions in this section. This section includes several subsections that assess your ability to learn and recall information. The subsections are: verbal, which consists of vocabulary; arithmetic, which assesses computational speed and mathematical concepts; and nonverbal, which consists of visualization and measurement in terms of mental manipulation and relationship recognition.
- The second section covers your ability to spell accurately. You are allotted 15 minutes for this section, which consists of 45 questions. This section is relatively self-explanatory, in that it was designed to determine your educational achievement in communication, primarily by assessing your spelling accuracy.
- The next section of the HOAE covers your reading comprehension. This test section assesses your ability to read, interpret, and understand written material. You will be given 35 minutes to complete the 35 questions in this section.
- The fourth section of the exam was designed to cover your understanding of information in the natural sciences, such as biology, health, and chemistry. Knowledge from the physical and natural sciences is essential for success in the health care field. This section is comprised of 60 questions, for which you will be allotted 25 minutes.
- The final section of the HOAE is called a vocational adjustment index. This section sounds broad and intimidating, but it covers your attitudes, behaviors, characteristics, and opinions, and how well these aspects fit within the health care occupations. This section has 90 questions, for which you will be given 15 minutes. Because this section is essentially about you, do not fret about the short time limit and do not get stuck on any single question.
PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Examination
Possessing a solid understanding of the content and structure of the PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Examination is the first step toward entering your desired educational program and obtaining your dream career in the health care field. Getting enough rest before the exam and taking care of yourself physically will absolutely help you feel equipped for success on exam day.
However, the most effective method of ensuring you do well on the HOAE is to prepare using the best test preparation materials you can find. Sure, you can search the internet and find bits and pieces of the HOAE on several websites. But, why search the web when you can find everything you need in one place?
Mometrix Test Preparation offers a comprehensive PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Examination study guide: PSB Exam Secrets. This guide is unlike any other in that you get actual HOAE questions that help you remember the material you already know and earn the high test scores you deserve. The PSB Exam Secrets study guide also includes comprehensive tutorial videos, which provide immeasurably helpful step-by-step assistance to test-takers like you.
PSB Health Occupations Test Overview
The PSB Exam Secrets guide was written by exam experts who understand how to successfully pass the HOAE and enter your health care educational program of choice. Mometrix Test Preparation’s standardized test researchers have discovered the secrets of the HOAE and are able to impart to you effective methods to reduce your stress, crush the exam, and demonstrate to the admissions counselor, advisor, or administrator of your health care educational program that you are ready for success in a health care occupation.
In addition to the PSB Exam Secrets study guide, Mometrix also provides test-takers like you the PSB Exam Flashcards, which includes additional comprehensive PSB Practice Test questions. Earn the best scores you can earn on the PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Exam by rigorously preparing, studying, and testing yourself with real PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Exam content.
Read the PSB Exam Secrets study guide, test your knowledge with the PSB Exam Flashcards and Practice Test, and get into the health care career educational program of your choice. Passing the HOAE is the first step in reaching your dream career in the health care occupations.
by Enoch Morrison | Last Updated: November 8, 2018