The Pennsylvania Educator Certification Tests program (PECT) was designed for prospective teachers in the State of Pennsylvania to ensure proficiency in specific educational areas in keeping with effective, quality-driven educational standards. Passing the PECT Special Education PreK-8 test is necessary to earn a teaching credential in PreK-8 special education in Pennsylvania.
Prepare with our PECT PreK-8 Special Education Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
How do I register to take the PECT Special Education PreK-8 test?
In order to sit for the PECT Special Education PreK-8 test, you need to have either completed or enrolled in a state-approved educator preparation program with a specific focus on special education. The test is offered year-round, so you will need to check the PECT website for details regarding specific dates in your area.
Additionally, the test is proctored at any number of computer-based testing (CBT) centers in Pennsylvania, as well as throughout the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Canada. Visit the Pearson VUE website to determine the best testing center for you.
What fees are associated with the PECT Special Education PreK-8 test?
The PECT Special Education PreK-8 test is divided into two modules and will cost $50 per test module, or $87 for both modules. You can pay by debit or credit card when you register for the exam online. If you do not have a credit or debit card, you can pay by check by first contacting Evaluation Systems via the PECT website.
Your registration will remain valid for one year from the date of registration. If you do not take your scheduled test within a year, your registration will become void and you will not receive a refund.
Financial assistance vouchers may be available to currently enrolled undergraduates receiving financial aid; however, requests for financial assistance vouchers are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. So, make sure to complete the Fee Waiver Request Form via the PECT website right away if you qualify for a voucher.
PECT PreK-8 Special Education Flashcards. Proven flashcards raise your score on the PECT PreK-8 Special Education test. Guaranteed.
What is a passing score for the PECT Special Education PreK-8 test?
You must receive a score of at least 220 per module on the PECT Special Education PreK-8 exam. If you do not pass a test module, you can retake it. However, you must complete the registration process again, and you must wait at least 30 days before retaking the test module.
What does the PECT Special Education PreK-8 test cover?
The test consists of 41 selected-response questions in Module 1 and 41 selected-response questions in Module 2. You will be allotted an hour (60 minutes) for each module. You will also be given 15 minutes to complete a pre-test computer-based testing tutorial, and you will be allowed a 15-minute break between test modules.
In terms of content, the subareas per module, approximate weighted percentage of each subarea, range of objectives, and content per objective are as follows:
- Foundations and professional practice, 33%; objectives 0001-0002
- Covering: legal, historical, and philosophical foundations of special education and the ethical role of the teacher; and effective communication and collaboration with team members, caregivers, families, and students
- Understanding students with disabilities, 33%; objectives 0003-0004
- Covering: understanding human growth and development, including characteristics and requirements of students with disabilities; and understanding the factors that impact students’ development, learning, and daily life
- Assessment, program planning, and implementation, 33%; objectives 0005-0006
- Covering: understanding types, characteristics, strategies, procedures, and interpretation of assessments used with students with disabilities; and understanding procedures and strategies for development, implementation, and monitoring of learning and behavior plans
- Inclusive learning environments, 50%; objectives 0007-0009
- Covering: understanding procedures and strategies for planning, implementing, managing, and fostering positive learning environments for students with disabilities; understanding strategies for fostering expressive and receptive communication skills; and understanding strategies for teaching functional, independent learning skills for students with disabilities
- Specially designed instruction delivery, 50%; objectives 0010-0012
- Covering: understanding the foundations for teaching reading to students with disabilities; understanding literacy in students with disabilities; and understanding strategies for planning, implementing, and monitoring instruction for content-area learning in students with disabilities
Now that you know the associated fees, basic content, and overall structure of the PECT Special Education PreK-8 test, you need to prepare. The best means of ensuring you pass the PECT on your first attempt is to study using the most comprehensive test preparation materials available.
Mometrix Test Preparation’s PECT Secrets study guide is just the resource you need. In the PECT Secrets study guide, you get authentic PECT content, along with expert tips for reducing test anxiety, improving memory, and enhancing test performance.
In addition to the PECT Secrets study guide, Mometrix offers a comprehensive PECT Practice Test and a complete set of PECT Flashcards. Read the PECT Secrets study guide, assess your knowledge using the PECT Flashcards and PECT Practice Test, and earn the State of Pennsylvania special education PreK-8 teaching credential you deserve.