Free ACSM Personal Trainer Practice Test
1. Which of these muscles is not part of the Rotator cuff?
- Teres minor
- Teres major
2. Benefits of nonlinear periodized training programs include all of the following EXCEPT
- Using a progressive increase in the workout intensity
- Allowing for variation in the workout intensity
- Having a "power" training day
- Training both power and strength of muscles within one week
3. What is the approximate target heart rate for a 50-year-old man in beats per minute (bpm)?
- 75 to 120
- 85 to 110
- 85 to 145
- 120 to 160
4. How much weight loss is appropriate for an obese individual with a BMI greater than 30?
- 1 kg a week
- 2 kg a week
- 3 kg a week
- 4 kg a week
5. Which of the following is not covered when obtaining informed consent from a client?
- Benefits that the client should expect to gain
- Risks and discomfort that may be associated with the training program
- Purpose of the training program
- How much the training program will cost
Answers and Explanations
- D: The Supraspinatus is an abductor of the arm. The Infraspinatus and Teres minor are both external rotators. The Subscapularis is the missing muscle of the rotator cuff.
- A: While a linear periodized training program involves having a progressive increase in the workout intensity over the course of a week, a nonlinear periodized training program involves variation of intensity over the course of a week. A weeklong nonlinear periodized training program can target both muscle strength and power. A "power" training day involving power sets can also be implemented. This type of program may be more conducive to individuals with scheduling conflicts.
- C: To calculate an individual's target heart rate, first one needs to estimate the person'smaximal heart rate. This is estimated by subtracting a person's age from 220. In this example, the person's maximal heart rate is 220 - 50 = 170. Using this number, the target heart rate can be calculated. The recommended target heart rate is between 50% and 85% of the maximal heart rate. This would be 170 - 0.50 = 85, and 170 - 0.85 = 145. So, the individual's target heart rate is estimated to be between about 85 and 145 bpm.
- A: People who are obese have a BMI greater than or equal to 30. These individuals are at a high risk of cardiac problems, certain types of cancers, and diabetes. Among other areas, training programs can focus on weight loss, promoting appetite control, and lowering the risk of associated medical issues. Weight loss should be gradual - not more than 1 kg per week. Aerobic training sessions five to seven times a week lasting 45-60 minutes per session may be helpful.
- D: Obtaining informed consent at the beginning of a professional relationship can protect against potential later legal action. An informed consent document will discuss the reason for the training program, the risks or discomfort that a client may experience, the responsibilities of the client, the benefits the client may reap, and it will offer the opportunity for a client to ask related questions. Fee structure and payments are not part of the informed consent.
Last Updated: 04/18/2018