Free CHFM Practice Test
1. Which of the following is NOT an organization that has developed a Model Building Code?
2. One area that certified healthcare facility managers should concentrate their mold abatement efforts on is the:
- Detoxification ward
- Fuel oil storage tank
- Nurse's station
- Gerontology ward
3. HVAC workers who handle refrigerants containing chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) are required to pass a certification exam administered by which agency?
4. A healthcare facility fire safety program should include all but which of the following?
- Monitoring employee behavior during a fire
- NFPA Code 30
- Identifying and removing or controlling hazards
- Intruder alerts
5. The Joint Commission (TJC) is:
- A non-profit organization that provides information on rheumatic diseases
- A new ADA regulation proposed by the Department of Health & Human Services
- An organization that strives to improve patient safety
- The agency which issues the final ruling in OSHA complaint cases
Answers and Explanations
- C: RBC stands for Royal Bank of Canada, which has not developed a Model Building Code. The Uniform Building Code (UBC), Southern Building Code Congress International (SBCCI), and Building Officials and Code Administrators (BOCA) are all organizations that have.
- D: The elderly are very sensitive to mold, and can suffer more serious consequences if infected. Others groups that are highly sensitive to mold are infants, pregnant women, and those with respiratory problems. A and C, a detoxification ward and a nurse's station, would in all probability not contain members of the highly sensitive groups listed above. B, a fuel oil tank, would not be an environment in which mold would grow.
- C: CFCs are known to cause depletion of the ozone layer in the earth's atmosphere if released into the air, so the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) administers the exam. A, ADA, or the Americans with Disabilities Act, is not an agency. B, OSHA, the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, oversees worker health and safety. D, NFPA, or National Fire Protection Association, has codes to reduce the risk of fire.
- B: NFPA Code 30 only establishes guidelines for the storage of flammable or combustible liquids. A, monitoring employee behavior during a fire, is important so that patients and their confidential records are protected. C and D, identifying and removing or controlling hazards and intruder alerts, are crucial to fire prevention.
- C: The mission of TJC, formerly called the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, is to improve patient safety and quality of care. A, an organization providing rheumatic disease information, is not logical. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is administered by the Department of Justice. OSHA, mentioned in choice D, issues its own rulings.
Last Updated: 07/05/2018