The Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurse (CRRN) exam is given by the Association of Rehabilitation Nurses (ARN). Rehabilitation nurses assist patients with disabilities and chronic illnesses. They also restore, maintain, and promote optimal health by providing therapy and education. Passing the CRRN exam shows that you have what it takes to be successful as a Rehabilitation Nurse.
Who is eligible to take the CRRN exam?
Before you can take the exam, you will need to have:
- A current and active RN license from within the U.S. or it’s territories or a Canadian RN license.
- A minimum of two years practice as a registered professional nurse in rehabilitation nursing. An alternative to this option is having completed one year of practice as a registered professional nurse in rehabilitation nursing and one year of advanced study in nursing. This advanced study must be beyond baccalaureate.
How long is my certification good for?
Certification is good for five years. After that, you will need to renew it.
How do I register for the exam?
You may register for the exam online at the ARN website. Before filling out the application, you will need to come up with a username and password. You will need to have your candidate information, which includes contact information and an email address; and your ARN member ID number if you have it, although it’s not required if you are not an ARN member; and your RN license number and state.
For verification purposes, you will need to provide contact information and email addresses for two professional colleagues. Your colleagues will need to be able to verify that you have completed at least two years of rehabilitation nursing experience at the time of your application.
You will also need your payment information at the time of your application. After completing the application, you will receive an email notifying you to schedule your exam. If you do not schedule your exam within a year of applying, you will forfeit the examination fee.
When is the exam given?
The CRRN exam is given between two-month-long testing windows:
- June 1st – 30th
- December 1st – 30th
Because applications are not accepted 45 days before each testing window, the deadline for the June 1st– 30th testing window is April 15th and the deadline for the December 1st -30th testing window is October 15th. Outside of the 45-day restriction, applications are accepted year-round.
How much does the exam cost:
The cost of the exam is as followed:
ARN Members: $285
How is the exam formatted?
The CRRN exam is computer-based and consists of 175 multiple choice questions. 25 of these questions are pretest questions and are not scored. You will be given three hours to complete the exam.
What will the exam test me on?
The CRRN exam will test you on four different domains:
- Rehabilitation nursing models and theories (6%) – this section tests your knowledge of incorporating evidence-based practice, models, and theories into patient-centered care. You will need to know how to apply nursing models and theories; apply the nursing process; and applying rehabilitation scope of practice.
- Functional health patterns (theories, physiology, assessment, standards of care, and interventions in individuals with injury, chronic illness, and disability across the lifespan) (58%) – In this section of the exam, you will need to apply the nursing process in different areas. These areas include sleep and rest patterns, nutrition, neurological functions, and stress management skills.
- The function of the rehabilitation team and community reintegration (13%) – this section requires knowledge of collaboration with rehabilitation teams to achieve patient-centered goals. You will also need to apply the nursing process to help individuals reintegrate into the community.
- Legislative, economic, ethical, and legal issues (23%) – this section tests an individual on cost-effective care, ethics, and quality and safety in patient-centered care.
What if I need to reschedule my exam?
If you need to reschedule your exam, you may do so. However, it must be done 4 business days prior to your scheduled exam appointment. In order to reschedule you will need to follow the link in the email notifying you to schedule your exam. Keep in mind that you will be charged a $50 non-refundable administrative fee. If you fail to show up for your exam without formally rescheduling, you will be marked as a “no show” and will forfeit your exam fee.
Canceling your exam appointment needs to be done 4 business days before your scheduled appointment. You will be charged a $50 non-refundable administrative fee.
What will the day of the exam be like?
On the day of your exam, be sure to arrive at least fifteen minutes early. If you arrive late, you will not be allowed to take the exam and will forfeit all fees that you paid. Be sure to have with you a valid and current photo identification along with your confirmation notification. Items such as books or other study materials, bags, and electronics are not allowed in the testing room with you. An area for you to store your items will be provided.
What score do I need to get on the exam in order to pass?
In order to pass the CRRN exam, you will need to obtain a scaled score of 500.
When will I receive my exam results?
You will receive your exam results immediately upon completion of the exam.
May I retake the exam if I failed it?
Yes. If you failed the exam, you may retake it during the next testing window. In order to reapply, you must submit an updated application and pay all the necessary fees.
How can I prepare for the CRRN exam?
One of the best study resources to utilize for the CRRN exam is Mometrix Test Preparation. Each study guide and flashcard set Mometrix develops is designed with the test taker in mind. Our material is filled only with the type of content most likely to be found on your exam. If you want to pass the CRRN exam, Mometrix is here to help.