ESOL, otherwise known as English for Speakers of Other Languages, can be a very challenging subject to approach from an instructor’s standpoint, but highly rewarding all the same. Your desire to help others on an international scale has undoubtedly led you down the path of becoming an aspiring ESOL K-12 instructor, and we commend you for working so hard toward your goal.
What is the FTCE English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) K-12 exam?
The Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) are a series of standards-relevant exams implemented as an integral part of the teacher certification process in the State of Florida. The FTCE ESOL K-12 exam is specific to prospective teaching candidates who are preparing to enter the teaching field as ESOL teachers in grade levels K-12. The FTCE ESOL K-12 exam ensures prospective teachers meet the state’s highest educational standards to ensure Florida students receive a highly effective education. Please note that the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam is only one part of the certification process for prospective Florida teachers. Make sure to visit the Florida Department of Education website, as well as that of your teaching certification education program, to ensure you meet all credentialing criteria.
How much does the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam cost?
The FTCE ESOL K-12 exam costs $150 for your first attempt and $150 for any retakes. You may need to retake the exam if you do not achieve a passing score on your first attempt.
What is the passing score for the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam?
Prepare with our FTCE ESOL K-12 Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
The passing score for the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam is scaled, and you must score at least 200 to pass. Pass/non-pass scores will be available immediately after you finish the exam. Official score reports will be available within 4 weeks of your original test date. If you need to retake the exam, you will be assessed a $150 fee per retake.
What does the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam cover?
The FTCE ESOL K-12 exam is a computer-based test (CBT) consisting of approximately 120 multiple-choice items. The total testing time allotted for the exam is 2 hours and 30 minutes; however, you may notice that your testing time is slightly longer to accommodate for the pretest CBT tutorial. Taking breaks during the exam cuts into your testing time, so make sure to plan accordingly. Your exam will be proctored at a Pearson VUE computer-based testing (CBT) center in your area.
FTCE ESOL K-12 Flashcards. Proven FTCE ESOL K-12 test flashcards raise your score on the FTCE ESOL K-12 test. Guaranteed.
In terms of exam content, the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam will cover eleven (11) different competencies. Each competency is weighted by the percentage of total test questions. The following outline provides the exam’s covered competencies, approximate weighted percentages, and general content:
- Knowledge of culture as a factor in ELL learning, approximately 8%
- Demonstrate knowledge of the impact of culture on student behavior and learning, social issues and trends, multicultural sensitivity, community partnerships, etc.
- Knowledge of language as a system, approximately 12%
- Demonstrate knowledge of the universal principles of language, phonology, morphology, semantics, discourse, appropriate forms of English, etc.
- Knowledge of language acquisition and development, approximately 12%
- Demonstrate knowledge of major theories related to first and second language acquisition, student learning processes, research-based models of instruction, social language, learner variables, etc.
- Knowledge of second language literacy/development, approximately 10%
- Demonstrate knowledge of current theories regarding second language reading and writing development, ELLs’ oral language and home literacy practices, etc.
- Knowledge of ESL/ESOL history, research, current practices, and public policy, approximately 5%
- Demonstrate knowledge of current and past approaches to ESOL instruction, major researchers and contributors in the field, current research and best practices, federal and state court decisions, laws, policies, etc.
- Knowledge of ESOL standards-based content instruction, approximately 14%
- Demonstrate knowledge of methods to improve ELLs’ English listening and speaking skills, reading instruction, English proficiency levels, effective integration and adaptation of listening, speaking, reading, and writing, etc.
- Knowledge of resources and technologies, approximately 8%
- Demonstrate knowledge of culturally responsive materials for ELLs, technological resources, district and community collaboration, etc.
- Knowledge of planning standards-based ELL instruction, approximately 10%
- Demonstrate knowledge of state-approved content and standards, characteristics of challenging and engaging classroom environments, appropriate learning tasks, methods of scaffolding, context, etc.
- Knowledge of assessment issues for ELLs, approximately 8%
- Demonstrate knowledge of cultural and linguistic bias, formal and informal assessments, accommodations for special needs ELL students, natural English acquisition process, etc.
- Knowledge of language proficiency assessment, approximately 5%
- Demonstrate knowledge of district, federal, and state requirements for ELLs exiting ESOL programs, assessment data, communication with stakeholders, etc.
- Knowledge of classroom-based assessment of ELLs, approximately 8%
- Demonstrate knowledge of alternative assessments, appropriate measurements and instruments, test-taking strategies for ELLs, etc.
Now that you have a good understanding of the fees, expectations, and basic structure of the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam, what comes next? The absolute best means of ensuring your success on the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam is to thoroughly prepare using the most reliable test preparation materials you can find. Mometrix Test Preparation has everything you need in the FTCE Secrets study guide. The FTCE Secrets study guide includes authentic FTCE exam content and practice test questions, along with expert-written tips designed to help you recall information, reduce test anxiety, and pass the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam on your first attempt. To augment the FTCE Secrets study guide, Mometrix Test Preparation also offers a complete set of FTCE Exam Flashcards and a comprehensive FTCE Practice Test. Read the FTCE Secrets study guide, test your knowledge, skills, and abilities with the FTCE Flashcards and FTCE Practice Test, and pass the FTCE ESOL K-12 exam on your first attempt.