The Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) were designed and implemented as an integral part of the teacher certification process in the State of Florida. The FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam is specific to teaching candidates preparing to enter the teaching field as social science teachers in grades 6-12.
Prepare with our FTCE Social Science 6-12 Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
The FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam ensures prospective teachers meet the highest possible standards to ensure Florida students receive a highly effective education. The FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam is only a single part of the credentialing process for prospective Florida teachers.
As such, make sure to check with the Florida Department of Education, along with your teacher preparation program, to ensure you meet all necessary criteria.
How much does the FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam cost?
The FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam will cost $200 for your first attempt and $220 for any potential retakes. You will need to retake the exam if you do not score the requisite passing score on your first attempt.
FTCE Social Science 6-12 Flashcards. Proven FTCE Social Science 6-12 test flashcards raise your score on the FTCE Social Science 6-12 test. Guaranteed.
What is the passing score for the FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam?
The passing score for the FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam is scaled at 200; meaning, you must score at least 200 to pass. Pass/non-pass scores will be available immediately after you finish the exam and official score reports will be available within 4 weeks of testing. If you need to retake the exam, you can do so; however, you will be assessed a $220 fee for each exam retake.
What does the FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam cover?
The FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam is a computer-based test (CBT) consisting of approximately 120 multiple-choice questions. The total test time allotted to answer questions on the exam is 2 hours and 30 minutes; however, you will be given additional time to complete the CBT tutorial. Taking breaks during the test cuts into your available exam time, so plan accordingly.
FTCE Social Science 6-12 Practice Test
In terms of content, the FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam covers several competencies and skills, with each competency area weighted by percentage. The exam’s competencies, skills, and approximate weighted percentages are as follows:
- Knowledge of geography, approximately 10%
- Demonstrate an understanding of the six essential elements of geography, identify natural processes and human-environmental interactions, identify cultural impact of human-environmental and natural processes, and analyze geographic information using charts, graphs, and maps
- Knowledge of economics, approximately 15%
- Demonstrate knowledge of allocation of resources and the influence of cost and scarcity; identify economic systems and their answers to the three basic economic questions; analyze supply, demand, consumption, production, and distribution; analyze features of global economics; and evaluate functioning of budgets, credit, and savings in a consumer economy
- Knowledge of political science, approximately 15%
- Demonstrate knowledge of the U.S. Constitution, amendments, federalism, separation of powers, checks and balances; identify functions of U.S. political branches, including executive, judicial, and legislative; identify political parties, voter behavior, public opinion, interest groups, and mass media influence; identify elements of state and local governments; analyze concepts, effects, and principles of U.S. foreign policy; compare various political systems, etc.
- Knowledge of world history, approximately 25%
- Demonstrate knowledge prehistoric cultures and early civilizations; evaluate influence of ancient civilizations; identify important contributions of African, Asian, and Mesoamerican societies prior to 1500; identify economic, political, and social characteristics of various cultures from 1500-1900; assess the economic, political, and social effects of the Industrial Revolution, etc.
- Knowledge of U.S. history, approximately 25%
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Age of Exploration and its impact on the Americas; analyze cultural, economic, and political development of the Americas during the colonial period and beyond; demonstrating understanding of the impact of the Constitutional era; analyze the cultural, economic, political impacts of the major conflicts from the American Civil War to the modern day, etc.
- Knowledge of social science methodology, approximately 10%
- Demonstrate an understanding of social science disciplines, concepts, and interrelationships; interpret graphics and tabular representations of information; identify strategies, tools, technologies, and methods for teaching social science; demonstrate an understanding of primary and secondary sources, etc.
The most effective means of ensuring you pass the FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam is to prepare using the most reliable test preparation materials on the market.
Mometrix Test Preparation has included everything you need in the FTCE Secrets study guide, including actual FTCE content, as well as professional tips to help you reduce test anxiety, recall important information, and pass the FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam on your first attempt.
Along with the FTCE Secrets study guide, Mometrix also offers a comprehensive FTCE Practice Test and a complete set of FTCE Exam Flashcards. Take the right path toward passing the FTCE Social Science 6-12 exam: read the FTCE Secrets study guide, assess your knowledge retention with the FTCE Flashcards, and test yourself with the FTCE Practice Test. The sooner you pass the FTCE, the sooner you earn your Florida teaching credential.
Click Here for FTCE Practice Test
by Mometrix Test Preparation | Last Updated: June 8, 2019