Electrochemistry Practice Problems
1. An atom with the electron configuration 1s22s22p63s23p63d54s2 has an incomplete
A. 2p sublevel
B. Second principal energy level
C. Third principal energy level
D. 4s sublevel
2. What is the total number of electrons in a completely filled fourth principal level?
3. The characteristic bright line spectrum of an element is produced when its electrons
A. Form a covalent bond
B. Form an ionic bond
C. Move to a higher energy state
D. Move to a lower energy state
4. Which emanation has no mass and no charge?
5. In which system do molecule-ion attractions exist?
6. A particle accelerator can increase the kinetic energy of
A. An alpha particle and a beta particle
B. An alpha particle and a neutron
C. A gamma ray and a beta particle
D. A neutron and a gamma ray
7. What is the total number of electrons needed to completely fill all of the orbitals in an atom's second principal energy level?
8. An atom in an excited state can have an electron configuration of
9. Compared to the charge and mass of a proton an electron has
A. The same charge and smaller mass
B. The same charge and the same mass
C. The opposite charge and smaller mass
D. The opposite charge and the same mass
10. What is the total number of sublevels in the fourth principal energy level?
11. Which atom in the ground state has only one unpaired electron in its valence shell?
12. The shape and bonding of a diatomic bromine molecule are best described as
A. Symmetrical and polar
B. Symmetrical and nonpolar
C. Asymmetrical and polar
D. Asymmetrical and nonpolar
13. What is the oxidation number of sulfur in H2SO4?
14. When alpha particles are used to bombard gold foil, most of the alpha particles pass through undeflected. This result indicates that most of the volume of gold atom consists of
D. Unoccupied space
15. When an alpha particle is emitted by an atom, the atomic number of the atom will
A. Decrease by 2
B. Increase by 2
C. Decrease by 4
D. Increase by 4
16. Which of the following element has the corresponding valence subshell of 3p4? Atomic numbers are listed next to the elements.
A. Aluminum 13
B. Silicon 14
C. Sulfur 16
D. Chlorine 17
17. Which of the following element has the corresponding valence subshell of 3p6? Atomic numbers are listed next to the elements.
A. Sulfur 16
B. Chlorine 17
C. Argon 18
D. Potassium 19
18. Which of the following element has the corresponding valence subshell of 3s1? Atomic numbers are listed next to the elements.
A. Neon 10
B. Sodium 11
C. Magnesium 12
D. Aluminum 13
19. Which of the following element has the corresponding valence subshell of 2p4? Atomic numbers are listed next to the elements.
A. Nitrogen 7
B. Oxygen 8
C. Neon 10
D. Magnesium 12
20. What is the maximum number of electrons that can be found in the orbital denoted by the letter f?
by Enoch Morrison
Last Updated: 07/05/2018