Noun Practice Quiz
Select the answer choice that identifies the noun in the sentence.
1. It will take all of your energy and will to be able to walk again.
2. The works of many great poets have been placed on reserve.
3. The Brooklyn Bridge was opened in 1883.
4. Sparta and Athens were enemies during the Peloponnesian War.
5. Sharks and lampreys are not true fish because their skeletons are made of cartilage rather than bone.
6. Joe, have you met your new boss?
7. Sue's parents tried living in the north, but they could not adapt to the cold.
8. Mastering basic mathematics is an important goal for younger students.
9. To seize a foreign embassy and its inhabitants is flagrant disregard for diplomatic neutrality.
10. The Trojans' rash decision to accept the wooden horse led to their destruction.
Answers and Explanations
1. D: Energy is a noun, as is will here. Take (A) is a verb. All (B) is an adverb modifying take. Your (C) is an adjective modifying energy and will.
2. D: Reserve is the only noun of the choices. Many (A) and great (B) are adjectives modifying the noun poets. Placed (C) is a verb.
3. A: Bridge is a proper noun here. Was (B) is the auxiliary verb for the past perfect tense of the verb opened (C). In (D) is a preposition.
4. D: War is a proper noun here. And (A) is a conjunction. Were (B) is a verb. During (C) is a preposition.
5. D: Bone is a noun. True (A) is an adjective modifying the noun fish. Because (B) is a conjunction. Their (C) is a plural possessive third-person pronoun modifying the noun skeletons.
6. D: Boss is a noun. Have (A) is the auxiliary verb for the present perfect tense of the verb met (B). Your (C) is a possessive second-person pronoun modifying the noun boss.
7. A: North is a noun here. But (B) is a conjunction. Not (C) is an adverb modifying the verb adapt (D).
8. D: Students is a plural noun. NOTE: Mastering (A) is a gerund, i.e. a verb form functioning as a noun. But since (D) is already a noun, it is the better choice. Important (B) is an adjective modifying the noun goal. Younger (C) is an adjective modifying the noun students.
9. D: Neutrality is a noun. Seize (A) is a verb. Its (B) is a possessive pronoun modifying the noun inhabitants. Flagrant (C) is an adjective modifying the noun disregard.
10. D: Destruction is a noun. Their (A) is a plural possessive pronoun modifying destruction. Led (B) and accept (C) are verbs.
by Enoch Morrison
Last Updated: 07/05/2018