1. Which of the following is the correct formula for focal point calculation?
- F= I + O
- 1/F = I x 1/O
- F = 1 x 1/O
- 1/F = 1/I + 1/O
2. Which of the following is the correct formula for lens power (P)?
- P = 1/f + 1/O
- P = 1/f
- P = f x O
- P = O/f
3. The absolute index of refraction for a substance is 2.0 for light having a wavelength of 5.9 x 10-7 meter. In this substance what is the critical angle for light incident on a boundary with air?
- 25 Degrees
- 30 Degrees
- 35 Degrees
- 40 Degrees
4. Which phenomenon can occur with light, but not with sound?
- Doppler effect
5. The threshold frequency of a photo emissive surface is 7.0 x 1014 hertz. Which electromagnetic radiation, incident upon the surface, will produce the greatest amount of current?
- Low intensity infrared radiation
- High intensity infrared radiation
- Low intensity UV radiation
- High intensity UV radiation
6. A spherical mirror that forms only virtual images has a radius of curvature of .5 meters. The focal length of this mirror is?
- -.125 m
- -.25 m
- 2.5 m
- 2.75 m
7. A spherical concave mirror is used in the back of a car headlight. Where must the bulb of the headlight be located to produce a parallel beam of reflected light?
- Between the principal focus and the mirror
- Beyond the center of curvature of the mirror
- At the principal focus of the mirror
- At the center of the curvature of the mirror
8. An object .080 meter high is placed .20 meter from a converging (convex) lens. If the distance from the image of the lens is .40 meter, the height of the image is?
- .08 m
- .16 m
- .24 m
- .33 m
9. A diverging (concave) lens can form images that are?
- Virtual, only
- Inverted, only
- Either virtual or real
- Either inverted or erect
10. A ray of light strikes a plane mirror at an angle of incidence equal to 35 degrees. The angle between the incidence ray and the reflected ray is ___.
- 45 degrees
- 60 degrees
- 70 degrees
- 80 degrees
11. Compared to the wavelengths of visible light the wavelengths of UV light are
- The Same
12. What is the energy of a quantum of light having a frequency of 6.0 x 1014 hertz?
- 1.6 x 10
- 4.0 x 10
- 1.3 x 10
- 5.0 x 10-7 J
13. Experiments performed with light indicate that light exhibits
- Particle properties, only
- Wave properties, only
- Both particle and wave properties
- Neither particle or wave properties
14. What is the speed of light in a medium having an absolute index of refraction of 2.3?
- .77 x 10
- 1.3 x 10
- 1.5 x 10
- 2.3 x 108 m/s
by Enoch Morrison | Last Updated: October 30, 2018