1. During a pre-trip inspection you should show the examiner that you can check the lighting indicators for:
- the left and right turn signal.
- the four-way emergency flashers.
- the high beam headlights.
- all of the above.
2. The horn and heater/defroster should be checked during a pre-trip inspection.
3. To check the parking brake you should:
- apply the parking brake and make sure that it will hold the vehicle by shifting into a lower gear and gently pulling against the brake.
- apply the parking brake and pressing the foot brake to make sure that they will work together.
- You need not show that the parking brake works.
4. During a hydraulic brake check you must pump the brake pedal____times and then hold it down for______seconds. The brake pedal should not move (depress) for five seconds.
- 3, 5
- 5, 10
5. Failure to perform an air brake check will result in an automatic failure of the vehicle inspection test.
6. When checking lights and reflectors all external and reflective equipment must be clean and functional. Light and reflector checks include:
- headlights, seatbelts, tail lights, decorative lights.
- clearance lights, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, four-way flashers, brake lights, and red reflectors (on rear and amber reflectors everywhere else).
- clearance lights, Christmas lights, head and tail lights.
7. An external inspection of the steering box and hoses will include checking that the steering box is securely mounted and not leaking more than 4 ounces of fluid per hour.
8. The steering box must be securely mounted. You will check for:
- proper paint on the box.
- secure lighting on the steering box.
- missing nuts, bolts, and cotter keys.
9. On the steering linkage you must check for joints and sockets that are worn or loose and that there are no missing bolts, nuts, or cotter keys.
10. The Suspension System check should include:
- hoses, springs, mounts, brakes.
- springs/air/torque, mounts, shock absorbers.
- mounts, shocks, brakes.
11. It is unnecessary to check the slack adjusters when checking the brake system.
12. On some brake drums, there are openings where the brake linings can be seen from outside the drum. For this type of drum, check that:
- a visible amount of brake lining is showing.
- a visible amount of brake lining is not showing.
- that the brake lining is very thin.
13. Should you be prepared to perform the same brake components inspection of every axle (power unit and trailer, if equipped)?
14. The following items must be inspected on every tire:
- Tread depth, tire brand, and hub oil seals.
- Tread depth, hub oil seals, lug nuts, and white walls.
- Tread depth, hub oil seals, lug nuts, and spacers.
15. Listen for air leaks when checking the air/electric lines. Hoses and electrical lines should not be cut but can be spliced.