1. Which substance can be decomposed chemically?
- CaO and Ca
- MgO and Mg
- CO and Co
- CaO and MgO
2. The particles of a substance are arranged in a definite shape geometric pattern and are constantly vibrating. This substance can be in
- The solid phase, only
- The liquid phase, only
- Either the liquid or the solid phase
- Neither the liquid or the solid phase
3. Given the balanced equation: Mg(s) + 2HCL(aq) –> MgCl2(aq) + H2(g)
At STP, what is the total number of liters of hydrogen gas produced when 3.00 moles of hydrochloric acid solution is completely consumed?
- 11.2 L
- 22.4 L
- 33.6 L
- 44.8 L
4. Given the reaction at equilibrium: 2CO(g) + O2(g) –> 2CO2(g)
When the reaction is subjected to stress, a change will occur in the concentration of
- Reactants, only
- Products, only
- Both products and reactants
- Neither reactants nor products
5. What is the concentration of a solution of 10 moles of copper (II) nitrate in 5.0 liters of solution?
- .50 M
- 2.0 M
- 5.0 M
- 10 M
6. What is the oxidation number of chlorine in HClO4?
7. Given the redox reaction: Fe2+(aq) + Zn(s) –> Zn2+(aq) + Fe(s)
Which species acts as a reducing agent?
8. Given the reaction: Zn(s) + 2HCl(aq) –> ZnCl2(aq) + H2(g)
Which equation represents the correct oxidation half-reaction?
- Zn(s) –> Zn2+ + 2e–
- 2H + 2e––> H2(g)
- Zn2+ + 2e –> Zn(s)
- 2Cl– –> Cl2(g) + 2e–
9. Which of the following is the strongest Bronsted acid?
10. What is the pH of a solution with a hydronium ion concentration of .01 mole per liter?
11. Which terms describe a substance that has a low melting point and poor electrical conductivity?
- Covalent and metallic
- Covalent and molecular
- Ionic and molecular
- Ionic and metallic
12. Given the reaction: 4NH3 + 5O2 –> 4NO + 6H2O
What is the maximum number of moles of H2O that can be produced when 2.0 moles of NH3 are completely reacted?
13. Which compound is a salt?
14. At 1 atm and 298 K, which of the Ka values listed below represents the strongest acid?
- 1.1 x 10-7
- 1.8 x 10-5
- 5.6 x 10-11
- 4.6 x 10-4
15. Which compound will conduct an electric current when dissolved in water?
16. Which half reaction correctly represents oxidation?
- Sn2+ + 2e –> Sn0
- Sn4+ + 2e– –> Sn2+
- Sn2 –> Sn0 + 2e
- Sn2+ –> Sn4+ + 2e
17. In a redox reaction the reducting agent will
- Lose electrons and be reduced
- Lose electrons and be oxidized
- Gain electrons and be reduced
- Gain electrons and be oxidized
18. A reaction will be spontaneous if it results in product that have
- Lower potential energy and less randomness
- Lower potential energy and more randomness
- Greater potential energy and less randomness
- Greater potential energy and more randomness
19. Which of the following does not have a strong Ka value?
- Boric Acid
- Nitric Acid
- Sulfuric Acid
- Chloric Acid
20. If the pH is greater than 7 litmus paper will turn ____.
by Enoch Morrison | Last Updated: October 30, 2018