For questions 1 through 3, select the word that is spelled incorrectly.
1. Judy’s neighbor was friends with her neice and invited her on the holiday sleigh ride.
2. Professor Rinkie told the story but preferred omitting the forgettable occurrance with the horses.
3. When they hurried the magnificent conveyance along, they were sure that they would be victoryous.
For questions 4 through 6, select the correct spelling of the word to fill in the blank.
4. The girl displayed ________ behavior when she found out her puppy was injured.
5. The _______ crowd mourned the loss of their leader.
6. The mother attempted to _________ her son with toys.
For questions 7 through 9, choose word that is incorrectly spelled in the sentence.
7. Rudy beleives you should focus on your children more than on your marriage, due to the complexities of young minds.
8. Buying prescents for others is not the most authentic way to develop new friendships.
9. Larry flew to India to participate in a pilgrimage across the Indian countryside, hopeing to relinquish all stress and achieve peace.
10. Which word is not spelled correctly in the context of the following sentence?
The climate hear is inappropriate for snow sports such as skiing.
11. Which word is not spelled correctly in the context of the following sentence?
Dr. Vargas was surprised that the prescription had effected Ron’s fatigue so dramatically, nearly eliminating it.
Answers and Explanations
1. C: The correct spelling is niece.
2. D: The correct spelling is occurrence.
3. D: The correct spelling is victorious.
4. C: The correct spelling is distraught.
5. B: The correct spelling is somber.
6. B: The correct spelling is mollify.
7. A: The correct spelling is believes.
8. B: The correct spelling is presents.
9. A: The correct spelling is hoping.
10. B: The word hear is not spelled correctly in the context of this sentence. The speaker has confused the homophones hear and here. Homophones are words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have a different meaning. (Homophones are not to be confused with homonyms, which are spelled the same but have a different meaning.) In question 10, the author is trying to describe the place where the climate is; that is, he or she is describing the climate here. Unfortunately, the author uses the word hear, which is a verb meaning “to listen.”
11. C: The word effected is not spelled correctly in the context of this sentence. In order to answer this question, the reader needs to know the difference between affect and effect. The former is a verb that means “to change or alter,” while the latter, when used as a verb, means “to bring about or cause.” Effect may also be used as a noun, while affect is always a verb. In this sentence, the speaker is describing something that the prescription medication changed. Therefore, the appropriate word is affected.
by Mometrix Test Preparation | Last Updated: November 28, 2018