Urinary System Practice Exam
1. The renal medulla is composed of tissue called ______.
A. Renal pyramids
C. Renal sinus
D. Renal pelvis
2. Juxtaglomerular cells combine with _______ cells to form the juxtagomerular apparatus in the kidney.
A. Macula densa
B. Renal pelvis
D. Renal sinus
3. Which of the following is not in the sequence of proper kidney blood flow? The starting point is the renal artery and the finishing point is the renal vein.
A. Arciform artery
B. Afferent arteriole
C. Interlobar vein
D. Arciform vein
4. Which is found in the highest concentration in the urine?
A. Uric acid
5. The primary function of the ascending loop of Henle in the kidney is?
A. The active re-absorption of sodium
B. The active re-absorption of chloride ions
C. The passive re-absorption of potassium
D. The passive re-absorption of urea
6. The middle layer of the urinary bladder is identified as ___________.
A. Mucous coat
B. Submucous coat
C. Muscular Coat
D. Sphincter Coat
7. The micturition reflex center is located in the _____.
C. Lumbar plexus
D. Sacral plexus
8. Which of the following match with the definition: a poor output of urine?
9. Capillary loops located in the medulla are also known as _________.
A. Vasa recta
B. Urea collectors
D. Macula densa
10. The primary function of the descending loop of Henle in the kidney is?
A. Reabsorption of sodium ions
B. Reabsoption of water by osmosis
C. Secretion of hydrogen ions
D. Secretion of potassium ions
11. Which of the following is not considered a part of the male urethra?
12. When glucose if found in urine it is called _____.
D. Glucose intolerance
13. Which of the following is not considered a component of kidney stones?
A. Calcium phosphate
B. Uric Acid
C. Calcium oxalate
14. The one of the functions occurring at the distal convoluted tubule in the kidney is?
A. Passive secretion of hydrogen ions
B. Passive secretion of potassium ions
C. Limited re-absorption of water
D. No re-absorption of sodium
15. ADH has which of the following effects on the distal convoluted tubule?
A. Decrease water re-absorption
B. Increase water re-absorption
C. Decrease the concentration of urine
D. Increase the urine volume
16. Which of the following is not associated with the role of the kidneys?
A. Release of erythropoietin (hormone)
B. Release of renin (enzyme)
C. Release of Vitamin E
D. Activate Vitamin D
17. Each kidney contains approximately ______ nephrons.
A. 10 million
B. 1 million
18. The release of Angiotension II causes which of the following to occur?
A. Increased filtration rate
B. Decreased glomerular hydrostatic pressure
C. Increase synthesis of Vitamin E
D. Increased release of erythropoietin
19. Which of the following is an effect of a diuretic?
A. Decreased Cardiac Output
B. Increased fluid volume
C. Increased sodium re-absorption
D. Increased chloride ion re-absorption
20. Which of the following is not considered a loop diuretic?
A. Bumetadine (BUMEX)
B. Furosemide (LASIX)
C. Chlorthiazide (DIURIL)
D. Ethacrynic Acid (EDECRIN)
by Enoch Morrison
Last Updated: 03/01/2017