The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) designed the Middle Childhood/Generalist exam for credentialed teachers who wish to demonstrate their dedication to teaching excellence in middle grades education and earn National Board Certification, the highest certification for teachers in the United States. Teachers who sit for the Middle Childhood/Generalist exam are familiar with a range of curriculum in the arts, health, social sciences, science, mathematics, and language arts, and are able to demonstrate their adherence to the high standards put forth by the National Board as an effort to ensure high-quality education for students between the ages of 7-12.
Prepare with our NBPTS: Middle Childhood/Generalist Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
How do I register to take the National Board Certification: Middle Childhood/Generalist test?
Teachers who take the NBPTS Middle Childhood/Generalist exam are credentialed, licensed teachers who have already earned bachelor’s degrees or higher and are currently working in the field. Passing the NBPTS Middle Childhood/Generalist exam is only one component in the process of earning National Board Certification. In addition to passing the Middle Childhood/Generalist exam, you will also need to complete three portfolio assessments that require you to have access to students, at least 51% of whom must be ages 7-12. Make sure to check the NBPTS website to ensure you meet every criterion for National Board Certification. To register for the National Board: Middle Childhood/Generalist exam, you will need to create an account on the Pearson VUE website. There, you will be able to review available testing windows, and testing center locations in your area.
What fees are associated with the National Board Certification: Middle Childhood/Generalist test?
To earn National Board Certification as a Middle Childhood Generalist, there are several components in addition to the exam. Registering on the National Board website costs $75 (nonrefundable) per assessment cycle, each of which is comprised of several components. Components cost $475 each; however, make sure to check the NBPTS website to ensure you fully understand each step in the process.
What does the National Board Certification: Middle Childhood/Generalist test cover?
NBPTS: Middle Childhood/Generalist Flashcards. Proven NBPTS: Middle Childhood/Generalist test flashcards raise your score on the NBPTS test. Guaranteed.
The NBPTS: Middle Childhood/Generalist exam is a computer-based assessment that consists of approximately 45 selected-response questions and 3 constructed-response questions. This exam is considered one of the components (Component 1: Content Knowledge), in the National Board Certification process. Several standards are assessed within the body of the exam, and each standard covers specific content areas. The standards, associated content, and approximate weighted percentage for each section of the exam are as follows:
- English language, the arts, and health and wellness; approximately 30%
- Selected-response items cover: literacy balance, text choice, text analyses, purposes and value of performing and visual arts within cross-curricular contexts, and skills in health enhancement
- Constructed response item (one prompt) covers: reading skills support, including pedagogical knowledge; analysis and interpretation of strengths and weaknesses in students’ oral reading skills; and appropriate strategies for student support in continued reading development
- Mathematics and science; approximately 35%
- Selected-response items cover: algebraic thinking, number sense, geometry, analysis of data; knowledge of science domains, including Earth, space, life, and physical sciences; science vocabulary; scientific thinking and development; and tools of science, including models, representations, and engineering principles of design
- Constructed-response item in mathematics (one prompt) covers: analyses of students’ work on mathematical problems, including pedagogical approaches, concepts, and strategies; identification of errors and misconceptions; and demonstration of developmentally appropriate skills to help students solve math problems accurately
- Constructed response item in science (one prompt) covers: demonstration of developmentally appropriate skills to help students understand real-world occurrences and phenomena; pedagogical approaches to minimize misconceptions; and knowledge of fundamental science content and concepts, specifically in a cross-curricular context
- Social studies; approximately 35%
- Selected-response items cover: knowledge of civics/government, economics, history, and geography; social science themes; and primary and secondary sources, along with critical thinking skills
At this point, you should have a better understanding of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards: Middle Childhood/Generalist exam and its basic content, structure, and expectations. Now is the time to begin preparing for exam day success. The most effective means of ensuring you pass the NBPTS Middle Childhood/Generalist exam on your first attempt is to thoroughly prepare using the best test preparation materials you can find. Mometrix Test Preparation’s National Board Certification Exam Secrets study guide will provide you with just the comprehensive materials you need.
In the National Board Certification Exam Secrets study guide, you get access to actual National Board Certification Exam content, as well as expert tips aimed at reducing test anxiety, improving recall, and optimizing test performance. In addition to the National Board Certification Exam Secrets study guide, Mometrix offers a complete National Board Certification Practice Test and a complete set of NBPTS Flashcards. Read the National Board Certification Exam Secrets study guide, evaluate your knowledge and skills using the NBPTS Flashcards and Practice Test, and get one step closer to National Board Certification.