Calculous, function, and statistics are not easy subjects for students to learn. That’s why teachers must show they have the skills to instruct students in ways they’ll understand these more challenging math concepts. In New York, teachers take the New York State Teachers Certification Examination (NYSTCE)Mathematics (004) Test. Those who pass the exam show they have the skills to teach in New York classrooms. This guide provides an overview of the exam and a recommendation for the best study materials on the market.
How many questions will I find on the NYSTCE Mathematics (004) test?
The test contains 90 multiple-choice questions and one constructed-response item.
How much time do I have to complete the exam?
There is a 3 hour and 25-minute test time, though candidates will be at the test center longer than that.
Does that mean I need to get to the test center early?
Yes. Candidates should arrive at the test center at least 15 minutes before their scheduled test time.
Will I need to bring a calculator on test day?
Yes. Candidates must bring their own graphing calculator. Please check the test rules to see a list of approved calculators.
What’s the NYSTCE Mathematics (004) exam’s minimum passing score?
Candidates must score at least 520 to pass the exam.
Will I have to pay a fee to take the test?
Yes, Candidates pay a $134 test fee.
When can I take the test?
Candidates have a wide range of available dates. The test can be taken year-round, Monday through Saturday, though test centers are closed on some holidays.
Are test centers easy to find?
Yes, they should be. These private test centers are located across New York State and the country, and you can check locations by doing an online search.
What’s on the NYSTCE Mathematics (004) test?
The exam tests in seven different math categories.
- Number and Quantity. Topics include rational numbers, rational exponents, integer exponents, complex numbers, quadratic equations, vector quantities, matrices, abstract algebra, and addition, subtraction, and other arithmetic operations.
- Algebra. Includes rate and proportional relationship analysis; rational expressions; linear and nonlinear equations; algebraic, graphic, and other methods of solving linear and quadratic equations; and polynomial expressions.
- Functions. Candidates will be tested in areas that include linear, quadratic, radical, rational, piecewise and other representations to analyze functions; and explicit expressions, recursive processes, and other methods to model relationships between two quantities
- Calculus. Includes derivative interpretation; understands the fundamental theorem of calculus; product rule, chain rule, and other techniques of differentiation and integration; and analyze the graphs of functions by applying properties of derivatives.
- Geometry and Measurement. Topic includes lines and angles, triangles, and parallelograms theorems; geometric constructions analysis; trigonometry; arc lengths, areas of sectors, and other problems involving circles; and non-Euclidean geometry.
- Statistics and Probability. This topic includes number lines, dot plots and other single count or measurement variables; one and two-variable data interpretation; correlation coefficients for linear models; evaluate outcomes of decisions by using probabilities; and expected value calculation.
- Pedagogical Content Knowledge. Candidates will see topics including student learning goals; and assessing student progress.
When will my test results be released?
That depends on when you take the test. Results will be available, roughly, in about three to 10 weeks after you take the test.
What items can I bring into the test room?
Personal items, like electronic devices, watches, and wallets, are all banned from the test room. Candidates must place those items in a locker at the test center.
What identification will I need to show at the test center?
Candidates must show a driver’s license or another piece of government-issued ID. The ID requirements are spelled out in the test center rules.
You mentioned study materials that can help me prepare for this test. Where can I buy those?
You can obtain those materials from Mometrix, the test preparation company. Our study guide will show you how to solve test problems and explain how to do so in easy-to-understand language. You’ll also learn how to avoid test anxiety and panic in the event you don’t think you’re performing well. Our flashcards also help with test preparation because you take them anywhere and practice anytime. The NYSTCE Mathematics (004) test is a tough exam, and these materials will best help you prepare.