Free PAX RN Test

The PAX RN exam is one of the most challenging and comprehensive examinations available for those seeking entry into a registered nursing program. The exam has three main areas: verbal skills, mathematics, and science.

In the verbal skills section of the exam, there are multiple-choice questions related to vocabulary and reading comprehension. The vocabulary and subject matter of these sections do not necessarily relate to nursing. The mathematics section of the PAX RN exam features questions on basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, conversions, graphs, applied mathematics, and word problems. Although these questions may or may not relate to nursing, they represent the kinds of problems that a nurse is most likely to encounter. Finally, in the science section of the exam, there are questions related to biology, chemistry, physics, and earth science. As with the other sections of the PAX RN exam, the questions in the science section are multiple-choice, with four possible answers.

You will have one hour to complete each of the three sections. Some of the questions on the examination are experimental, meaning that they do not count toward your score, but instead are used to develop future versions of the exam. Most registered nursing programs require that candidates score in at least the 50th percentile. The PAX RN exam was developed by the National League for Nursing. Taking numerious PAX RN practice tests is recommended for test day success.

PAX RN Practice Tests

PAX-RN Math Practice Questions

PAX-RN Science Practice Questions

PAX-RN Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions

Practice Questions

1. The data in the graph exhibited an aberration.
Aberration means:

A: deviation from course
B: linear appearance
C: inverted appearance
D: circular theme

2. The prince abjured the ambassador.
Abjured means:

A: congratulated
B: renounced
C: relieved
D: fired

3. Round to the nearest 2 decimal places: 892 / 15 =

A: 60.47
B: 59.47
C: 62.57
D: 59.57

4. Using the following equation, solve for (y). 5y - 3x = 24 and (x) = 7

A: y = 8
B: y = 9
C: y = 10
D: y = 11

5. Which of the following terms matches the definition: an abnormally slow heartbeat.

A: tachycardia
B: bradycardia
C: fibrillation
D: myocardial infarct

6. Blood is made of approximately ___% hematocrit and _____55% plasma.

A: 45, 55
B: 55, 45
C: 75, 25
D: 25, 75

Answer Key

1. A: Aberration means a deviation from what is normal or typical. Its Latin roots are ab-, meaning away from, and errare, meaning to err or stray. Combined, these make up the Latin verb aberrare, to go astray (from). There are no other meanings.

2. B: To abjure means "to renounce." The original Latin roots are ab-, meaning away from, and jurare, meaning to swear, which is also the root of the English word jury. Hence "swearing away from" is renouncing, rejecting, or repudiating someone or something, abstaining from or avoiding something, or taking something back.

3. B: With 892 / 15, you get 59.4666, and so on (you will get an endless recurrence of 6 in the last place if you continue to divide). The convention with digits > 5 is to round up to the next higher number. Since this problem specifies to the nearest two decimal places, you round .46 up to .47

4. B: In this equation, (x) = 7 and (y) is unknown. 3x = 3*7 = 21. Therefore, 5y - 21 = 24. It follows that if 5y - 21 = 24, then 24 + 21 = 5y. 24 + 21 = 45, so 45 = 5y. 45 / 5 = 9, so (y) = 9.

5. B: Bradycardia means a slower heartbeat than normal. The combining form brady- is from the Greek bradys meaning slow. Tachycardia means a faster heartbeat than normal. (Tachy- from Greek tachos means speed, as also in "tachometer.") Fibrillation means uncoordinated, ineffectual heart movements. A myocardial infarct is a type of heart attack.

6. A: Hematocrit is the red blood cell portion of the blood. Plasma is mainly water, plus some plasma proteins, blood glucose, and so on. Normal levels of hematocrit are around 36% to 45% for women, and about 40% to 50% for men. Thus, an approximate normal level is around 45%. A hematocrit >50% can cause blood clots and heart attacks with exertion. If a hematocrit is 45%, it follows that the remaining plasma portion of the blood would be 55%.

NLN PAX RN Exam Review

NLN PAX RN Test Study Guide & Practice Questions

PAX RN test blueprint and breakdown

FREE PAX RN Study Tip of the Day - Get Started Now:

Sign up for Test Prep Review's PAX RN Study Tips. Receive Free Daily PAX RN Video Lessons To Help You Ace the PAX RN. Delivered to your email, completely free...just enter your email address below:

by

Last Updated: 04/12/2017


© 2017 Copyright | All Rights Reserved
All material on this website is copyrighted. TestPrepReview.com provides free unofficial review materials for a variety of exams.
All trademarks are property of their respective owners.