Students can have an interesting “reaction” to chemistry. Okay, so maybe puns aren’t part of the chemistry curriculum, but issues of matter, nuclear structure, and yes, chemical reactions certainly are. Educators who want to teach chemistry at the secondary school level must take and pass the Praxis II Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) Exam.
Prepare with our Praxis II Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
It’s an important test because many states use the results as part of the teaching certification process. The exam has several sections and, this guide walks you through what to expect. The guide also contains an excellent source for materials to help you prepare for the exam.
Is there a fee to take the Praxis II Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) Exam?
Yes. Candidates pay a $120 exam fee.
How many questions are on the exam?
There are 125 selected-response questions on the test, which is taken on a computer.
What is the total test time?
The test time, the amount of time for candidates to complete the exam is 2 hours and 5 minutes.
Praxis II Flashcards. Proven Praxis II test flashcards raise your score on the Praxis II test. Guaranteed.
What’s on the on the Praxis II Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) Exam?
The exam as seven different categories, as outlined below.
- Basic Principals of Matter and Energy; Thermodynamics. Topics include the organization and particle structure of matter; chemical and physical properties; energy conservation; energy and its different forms; temperature; heat transfer; and kinetic molecular theory;
- Atomic and Nuclear Structure. Topics include the periodic table; radioactivity; isotopes; electron configuration, chemical and physicals properties and the relationship between them,
- Nomenclature; Chemical Composition, Bonding, and Structure. Topics include simple organic compounds and their names and chemical structures; common organic compounds and their names; bonds and their common properties; types of bonds; and polar and nonpolar molecules.
- Chemical Reactions; Periodicity. Topics include the general layout of the periodic table; chemical equations; chemical kinetics; and biochemical and organic compounds.
- Solutions and Solubility; Acid-based chemistry. Topics include terminology and calculations; solubility, the dissolution rate, and the factors that affect them; equilibrium in ionic solutions and common applications; and the pH scale and pH and pOH calculations.
- Scientific Inquiry and Social Perspectives of Science. Topics include scientific inquiry and its processes, like forming and testing hypothesis; experimental design, which includes the use of variables and data collection; major chemistry developments and figures; and how chemistry can be applied to daily life.
- Scientific Procedures and Techniques. Topics include data and how it can be evaluated and interpreted; measurements and unit conversion; error analysis; laboratory equipment and how to use, maintain, and calibrate; and safety and emergency procedures.
Where can I take the test?
A private testing company delivers the exam to those taking the Praxis tests. The tests are available at hundreds of testing centers across the country, and you can find the one nearest you on the Praxis website.
When will I be able to see my test results?
That depends on the test you take. Most results are available 10 to 16 days after you complete the test or after the close of the test window. Some results are available as soon as the exam is complete.
What is the test passing score for the Praxis II Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) Exam?
The state in which you take the exam sets the passing score, so you should check with your local jurisdiction.
Praxis Chemistry Practice Test
Will I need to bring identification on test day?
Yes. You’ll need to bring your admission ticket and a piece of government-issued ID, like a driver’s license or passport, or another piece of government-issued identification. You should also bring a secondary piece of identification, like a student ID.
Should I arrive at the test center early?
Yes. It’s always best to arrive at least 30 minutes before the exam’s start time.
What personal items are allowed in the test room?
None. Candidates cannot bring personal items into the test room on test day. That includes electronic devices and certain clothing items. The Praxis website has a list of all prohibited items.
I need to pass this exam. What are the best preparation materials available?
Mometrix has everything you need to prepare for the Praxis II Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) Exam. For example, our study guide provides secrets and strategies for taking the test, including methods to beat the toughest questions. Our flashcards are a fantastic study system and you’ll have an easy way to quickly study practice questions. These are the materials you need to help you prepare.
Click Here for Praxis II Practice Test
by Mometrix Test Preparation | Last Updated: April 29, 2019