The early childhood years are critical to a child’s learning development. Through play and other activities, children begin the process of learning how to make choices and decisions.
How many questions are on the test?
There are 120 selected-response and three constructed-response questions on this computer-based test.
How much time do I have to finish the Praxis Education of Young Children (5024) Exam?
Candidates have 150 minutes to complete the test. The selected-response section should take 120 minutes and the constructed-response section 30 minutes.
What is the fee to take the test?
Candidates pay a $146 fee
Where can I take the test?
The Praxis tests are delivered by a private testing agency that has hundreds of test centers across the United States.
What’s on the Praxis Education of Young Children (5024) Exam?
The exam tests the knowledge of prospective teachers in six categories, as listed below.
- Childhood development and learning (25 questions). This section tests a candidate’s knowledge of the understanding and needs of children and motivational factors; influences on development and learning including culture, language, health and disabilities; and typical and atypical development, including gifted students and those with learning delays.
- Observation, documentation and assessment (19 questions). Candidates must show they can use assessments — including formal and informal methods — to craft curriculum and instruction; and understands appropriate screening, referral and evaluation methods for those who may need additional support.
- Developmentally appropriate practices (19 questions). These questions focus on knowledge of classroom structure, such as schedule and routine, to support learning; how to encourage critical thinking skills; and how to use technology to support learning.
- Professionalism, family and community (19 questions) focus on the importance of family and community in the learning process. Areas include ethical conduct; professional growth opportunities; the integrated role of learning with other professionals (specialists in speech, gifted education, etc.); the ability to support and engage families by building positive relationships and connecting families to resources; and involving families and communities in learning.
- Content pedagogy and knowledge (38 questions) is the largest section of the test, focusing on language and literacy and math. Candidates can expect questions on concepts of communication, such as speaking, listening and language; promotes active listening and facilitates discussions; vocabulary expansion; writing skill and handwriting development; counting; numbers comparison; and developing the ability to compare numbers.
- Knowledge of teacher has the three constructed response questions.
Will I be able to see my test results as soon as the exam is complete?
That depends. Some results are available at the test’s conclusion. Others won’t be available until 10 to 16 business days after the exam or after the close of the test window. When you receive the results depends on the test.
Should I bring identification on test day?
Yes. Make sure to bring your test admission ticket and a driver’s license or another piece of government-issued identification.
When should I arrive at the test center?
You should get to the test center at least 30 minutes ahead of your test time. You don’t want to be late. Late arrivals may not be able to take the exam.
Can I bring my cell phone into the test room?
No. You can’t bring any electronics or personal items, including certain items of clothing, into the testing room. You should consult the test rules for the list of banned items.
What are the best study materials to help me prepare for the Praxis Education of Young Children (5024) Exam?
The Mometrix study materials will help you prepare. Our study guide contains information on solving the toughest test problems, a Praxis study plan, tips on overcoming test anxiety, and more. Our flashcards help you by being your constant study companion. Carry the flashcard with you and study on the go, taking advantage of every minute of study time. These are two excellent tools.