How do you deal with conflict? How do you make healthy living choices? These may seem like elementary questions, but they’re issues that students must learn. That’s why qualified teachers in the family and consumer science field have passed the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences (5122) Exam.
The exam, for educators who want to teach in middle and high schools, covers a wide range of areas, including food and nutrition, resource management, and relationships.
States use Praxis tests as part of the education licensing process, so this is an important exam. What’s on the test? What can I expect on test day? What’s the best study materials I can buy? This guide has the answer to these questions and more.
How much does it cost to take the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences (5122) exam?
There is a $120 exam fee that all candidates must pay.
How many questions are on the test?
There are 120 questions, all selected response, on the exam. Candidates take the test on a computer.
How much time do I have to complete the exam?
The test time is two hours.
What’s on the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences (5122) Exam?
The test has six content categories:
- Food and Nutrition topics include menu planning; food safety; basic culinary terms; how to modify recipes; contamination sources; healthy living; nutrition and wellness programs and initiatives; food consumption, nutrition, and behavior and factors that influence them all; and food and the biochemical process in the human body.
- Housing and Interior Design tests a candidate’s knowledge in several areas, including interior, architectural, and modern design; housing design; housing needed at different points in the lifespan; housing materials and environmental impact; housing characteristics; and housing choices.
- Textiles, Fashion, and Apparel includes textile and apparel production regulations, safety standards, and ethical issues; equipment and tools needed in textile production; fashion design; fashion, textile, and apparel characteristics; making apparel choices; and keeping wardrobes clean.
- Human Development and Interpersonal Relationships tests in several areas that include factors that impact relationships; effective communication; strengthening relationships; styles of parenting; change, crisis, and conflict resolution; the family unit’s role in society; and various factors that impact families, including economic and social issues.
- Foundations of Family and Consumer Science Education includes professional development; available professional resources in areas that include continuing education; academic standards as they relate to student achievement; and codes of ethics.
- Resource Management topics include financial management; basic financial records interpretation; financial institutions and the basic services they offer; credit; consumer rights; consumer responsibilities; consumer product and services evaluation; issues analysis using effective decision-making and problem-solving techniques; and resource-management skills.
Where do I take the test?
That depends on your location. A private testing company delivers the Praxis tests to candidates. The company has hundreds of locations across the country, and you can find the one nearest to you by checking the exam website.
When will I get my test results?
Check the exam rules. Some states release results immediately, while others will take some time to receive.
What is the minimum passing score for the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences (5122) Exam?
That depends on your location since each state sets its passing score. You can check your state’s criteria on the exam website.
Will I need to bring identification on test day?
Yes, candidates will need to bring three items with them.
- Your admission ticket
- A piece of government-issued identification like a driver’s license or passport
- A second piece of identification, like a student ID
When should I arrive at the test center?
Make sure to arrive at least 30 minutes before your exam time. You want to make sure you arrive early and have plenty of time to go through check-in procedures.
Are personal items allowed in the test room?
No. Personal items, including all electronic devices and certain items of clothing, are not allowed in the test room. You can see a complete list of banned items by reading the test center rules.
I need study materials to help me prepare for the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences (5122) Exam. What do you suggest?
Get the study materials by Mometrix, which have been created by educators in the test-preparation field. Our study guide will help candidates understand how to look for clues that can lead to the right or wrong answers and show test takers how to overcome two challenging exam obstacles — the limited test time and test anxiety. Our flashcards are excellent study companions, clearly explaining the answers to questions while providing the flexibility to study any place, at any time. These are excellent study tools.