The Praxis II Physical Education: Content Knowledge Exam is used to assess a test taker’s understanding of the knowledge and skills essential for a career in physical education. Candidates usually take this test shortly after (or right before) completing their bachelor’s degree in physical education, exercise science, or a similar field.
Prepare with our Praxis II Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
How Should I Prepare for Test Day?
In order to make sure you are relaxed and ready to perform your absolute best on test day, follow these guidelines:
- Dress comfortably and bring a light sweater or jacket that you can take on or off as necessary during the exam.
- Eat a nourishing breakfast before your test.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes before your appointment to check in.
- Avoid complications during check in by leaving prohibited items at home or in the car. This includes all electronics, bags, study materials, food, or beverages. Basically, just bring in your ID and leave everything else.
If you require any special accommodations on test day for a disability or another issue, you should make these arrangements when you register.
Praxis Physical Education Practice Test
What Material Will Be Covered on the Test?
There will be a total of 120 multiple choice questions covering four main content areas relevant to your career in physical education. Take a look at the overview below to get a better idea of what you’ll be expected to know on exam day:
- Content Knowledge and Student Growth and Development – 36 Questions
- Core concepts in anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology, biomechanics, kinesiology, motor development, and movement
- Current and historical trends in physical education
- Liability and legal considerations
- Developmentally appropriate learning and practice opportunities
- Appropriate and effective instruction based on students’ cultural and ethnic backgrounds, personal values, home environments, and family structures
- Management, Motivation, and Communication – 30 Questions
- Principles of classroom management
- Psychological and social factors that affect learning and performance.
- Organization and allocation of resources to provide equitable learning experiences for all students
- Motivating students and promoting positive relationships
- Effective verbal and nonverbal communication
- Communicating with respect and consideration to students, parents, and colleagues
- Planning, Instruction, and Student Assessment – 30 Questions
- Teaching skill movement, physical activity, and fitness
- Applying movement concepts and effective strategies for learning in physical education
- Current trends, laws, and issues affecting appropriate physical education activities
- General and specific safety guidelines and injury prevention procedures
- Accurate assessment of student skills, performance, and fitness
- Appropriate assessment for students with disabilities
- Accurately and fairly interpreting assessment results.
- Collaboration, Reflection, and Technology – 24 Questions
- Current educational issues
- Interdisciplinary integration of knowledge and skills
- Designing, developing, and implementing student learning activities that use information technology
- Use of technology in communication, instruction, assessment, record keeping, etc.
What Score Do I Need to Pass?
While the Praxis II Physical Education: Content Knowledge Exam is used in all states, the minimum score requirements are different depending on which state you will be teaching in. You’ll need to check with the state certifying board in the state where you plan to work to find out what score you need to pass.
The score is transferable so if you aren’t yet sure which state you will be teaching in, find out the score requirements for all the states you are considering and then aim to achieve the highest score required. This way, you’ll be qualified to teach in any state you choose.
Praxis II Flashcards. Proven Praxis II test flashcards raise your score on the Praxis II test. Guaranteed.
Do I Need to Study for the Praxis II Physical Education: Content Knowledge Exam?
The short answer: definitely. Even if you feel confident in your understanding of all the concepts mentioned in the outline above, it’s still worth spending at least a couple of weeks reviewing everything to make sure you are not just familiar with the material but know it backwards and forwards.
The best way to gain that level of mastery over the material is to use the Mometrix Study Guide and Mometrix Flashcards. These study aids have been crafted by a team of experts who know this material and know this exam. They’ve written easy to understand chapters that explain all of the core concepts you will need to know. Plus, they also come with proven test-taking strategies that you can use to get through all 120 questions, even when you encounter one that stumps you.
The flashcards are especially useful for people on a tight schedule. If you don’t have a lot of time to spend studying, take the flashcards with you and squeeze in a few minutes of studying whenever you can. A few minutes here and there throughout the day will add up and ensure that the material stays fresh in your mind.
Click Here for Praxis II Practice Test
by Mometrix Test Preparation | Last Updated: April 5, 2019