The Praxis II Professional School Counselor Exam is intended to determine if those seeking to become school counselors have the relevant knowledge and skills required. It is based on the American School Counselor Association’s (ASCA) “National Model” and, as such, it includes the four categories in that model.
Prepare with our Praxis II Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
The test’s questions dive into an individual’s understanding of research-based counseling practices and the ability to apply that knowledge to scenarios that occur in schools.
Test takers analyze and reply to hypothetical scenarios in classrooms, revolving around individual students and/or school and community events for elementary school students through high school students.
What Categories Make Up The Praxis II Professional School Counselor Exam?
There are four components within the Praxis II Professional School Counselor Exam: the foundations component, the delivery of services component, the management component and the accountability component.
The foundations component is centered around the history and role of a professional counselor, understanding of human development and ethical and legal principles as they apply to school counseling.
The delivery of services component asks participants about interventions be they for individuals, groups, classrooms or entire schools, plus consultation and collaboration.
The management component is focused on the best practice methods for building and sustaining a full-bodied guidance program.
Finally, the accountability component is built around questions on program evaluation, research and assessment.
What Topics Are Covered In The Praxis II Professional School Counselor Exam’s Foundations Component?
Praxis II Flashcards. Proven Praxis II test flashcards raise your score on the Praxis II test. Guaranteed.
The foundations component of the test includes questions on the history and role of the professional school counselor, with questions on the following topics:
- The latest research to advocate for the profession of school counselor
- The benefits of belonging to professional organizations for school/guidance counselors
- The growth of school counseling/guidance as a profession
- The ASCA national model and how it is applied by school counseling programs
- The ASCA national standards for the personal, career, academic and social development of students
This component also includes questions on human growth and development, covering the following topics, among others:
- Significant theories on physical development throughout the average lifespan
- Current research that promotes holistic development in students
- Major theories on cognitive development throughout the average lifespan
- Major theories on personality and emotional development throughout the average lifespan
- Major theories on social and character development throughout the average lifespan
The foundations component features questions on ethics, specifically:
- Modern ethical guidelines for professional and student use of technology
- Self-awareness of personal biases and limitations that can affect counseling relationships
- The current ASCA ethical standards for school counselors
- The ASCA code of ethics
- Ongoing professional development for school guidance counselors
Finally, the foundations component also includes questions about legal issues, including the following:
- The way that changes in public policy and law affect student rights and the role of school counselors
- The Americans With Disabilities Act and advocating for the legal rights of students with disabilities
- How school guidance counselors should advocate for students’ legal rights based on the Individuals With Disabilities Education Improvement Act
- How the Buckley Amendment and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1975 affects student and parent rights
- How constitutional rights apply to educational settings for parents and students
What Topics Are Covered In The Praxis II Professional School Counselor Exam’s Delivery Of Services Component?
The exam’s delivery of services component contains a guidance and counseling section with questions on the following:
- Basic methods for analyzing student behavior
- Appropriate use of technological resources to deliver counseling services
- The purposes and theories of individual counseling and how to apply them
- The theories and purposes of group counseling and how to apply them
- Educational planning techniques
The delivery of services component also has a consultation and collaboration section that covers the following pieces of knowledge, around others:
- The role of school guidance counselors to support student service plans
- The basic characteristics of consultation
- The intention, techniques and theories behind consultation models for school guidance
- The different needs of teachers, administrators, parents and community contacts
- The characteristics of collaborative relationships
What Topics Are Covered In The Praxis II Professional School Counselor Exam’s Management Component?
The exam’s management component includes questions on the following:
- How to use technology to manage and evaluate school counseling programs
- How guidance and counseling are integral to the total education process
- How to design, develop and institute a full school guidance program
- Designing, staffing and maintaining programs for students at risk
- Managing various referrals
What Topics Are Covered In The Praxis II Professional School Counselor Exam’s Accountability Component?
The exam’s accountability component contains a guidance and counseling section with questions on the following:
- The need for accountability in a school counseling program
- Goals and methods for evaluating achievement and program effectiveness
- Applying data analysis results to improve programs
- Methods for gathering background data that will help select assessments
- Familiarity with the various types of assessments available
How Is The Professional School Counselor Exam Administered?
Like all tests in the Praxis line, the Professional School Counselor Exam is administered on a computer. The tests are offered at test centers all over the world and interested parties can find the one most convenient one for them and schedule a best time when they register for the exam.
Before the test, participants are asked to provide their identification and are given a chance to familiarize themselves with the computer interface of the test.
The formats of the questions range from constructed response, multiple choice and numeric entry.
How Can I Do Well On The Professional School Counselor Exam?
Because of the range of topics covered and the variety of question formats, it’s recommended that those planning to take the Professional School Counselor Exam prepare extensively with an appropriate study guide and drill with flashcards.
With the right tools, anyone can be prepared to do exceptionally well come exam time.
This free Praxis II school guidance counselor practice test can be used by itself or alongside our companion study guide.
Click Here for Praxis II Practice Test
by Mometrix Test Preparation | Last Updated: April 5, 2019