The Praxis II Social Studies: Content Knowledge Exam is a standardized test that has been designed to evaluate participants on their aptitude and knowledge around serving as an entry-level social studies teacher for secondary education.
The test was created in coordination with the National Standards for Social Studies Teachers as defined by the National Council for the Social Studies. The exam is focused on concepts of applying social studies teaching methodologies, concepts and knowledge of social studies, as well as an understanding of U.S. history, world history, geography, economics, political science, sociology, anthropology and more.
There are selected-response questions, questions based on charts, graphs and tables and questions based on written passages.
For those interested in careers teaching social studies to secondary school students, credentialing through the Praxis II Social Studies: Content Knowledge Exam is almost always a necessity.
How Can I Register for this Social Studies Content Knowledge Exam from Praxis?
Praxis exams, like the Social Studies: Content Knowledge Exam, are administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). In order to register, prospective participants will have to create an online account on ETS’ website.
Upon creating the account, prospective participants will be able to select the specific date, time and location for taking the exam that best suits them. ETS recommends that participants in its exams arrive at the testing center at least 30 minutes before their scheduled appointment time.
How Is the Praxis’ Content Knowledge for Social Studies Exam Administered?
The Praxis II Social Studies: Content Knowledge Exam is administered via computer at testing centers located worldwide.
Because it is administered at a standardized testing center, there is a specific list of items that participants are prohibited from bringing with them to the exam. This list includes calculators, handbags and backpacks, water bottles, study materials like books and notes, pens, pencils, scrap papers or any electronic devices.
What Test-Taking Strategies Are Recommended for the Social Studies Content Knowledge Exam From Praxis?
Based on the formatting and scoring system for the Praxis II Social Studies: Content Knowledge Exam, ETS has some specific tips on how participants can approach the test successfully.
Firstly, it is encouraged for participants to guess on questions even if they are not fully confident they know the answer. This is because there is no score penalty or subtraction for wrong answers on the exam, only positive score additions for right answers.
Also, participants should feel free to answer questions in any order that gives them the best chance for success. There is no need to answer the questions in order, so participants are encouraged to skip questions they are not sure about, ensuring that they get to every question that they have a definite answer for before going back and answering any that they left blank.
There are no trick questions on the Praxis II Social Studies: Content Knowledge Exam and there are no “answer patterns” that the test follows.
What Specific Content Areas Do I Need to Study for the Praxis Social Studies: Content Knowledge Exam?
The Praxis II Social Studies: Content Knowledge Exam is broken into six content categories, which total 130 questions. Participants are given two hours to complete the full exam.
Here are a few examples of what specific content falls within each of the exam’s categories:
- History of the U.S. (About 26 questions and 20 percent of the full exam)
- North American cultures, geography and people
- The U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights
- The consequences of the Civil War and Reconstruction
- History of the world (About 26 questions and 20 percent of the full exam)
- The formation of classical Greece, Rome, Persia, India and China
- The role of trade and economic exchange
- How technology has shaped world societies
- Political Science, Government and Civics (About 26 questions and 20 percent of the full exam)
- Political theory
- U.S. government and politics
- Comparative politics and international relations
- Geography (About 19 questions and 15 percent of the full exam)
- Map types and projections
- Climate patterns and natural hazards
- Characteristics of the Earth’s ecosystems
- Economics (About 20 questions and 15 percent of the full exam)
- Understanding microeconomics
- Understanding macroeconomics
- Behavioral Science (About 13 questions and 10 percent of the full exam)
- How society and society’s groups influence human behavior
- How culture and diversity influence human behavior
- How learning and personal identity affect individual behavior
How Can I Get a Passing Score on the Praxis II Social Studies: Content Knowledge Exam?
In order to achieve a passing score on the Praxis II Social Studies: Content Knowledge Exam, prospective participants should spend their study time leveraging custom-made solutions like Mometrix Test Preparation’s study guide and flashcard set.
Praxis II Flashcards. Proven Praxis II test flashcards raise your score on the Praxis II test. Guaranteed.