The Praxis II Teaching Reading (5204) exam is an evaluation used to assess your relevant knowledge and understanding of the five necessary components of operative reading instruction as identified by the National Reading Panel. These areas include phonics, phonemic awareness, comprehension, fluency, and vocabulary. The Praxis II Teaching Reading exam serves a dual purpose: providing a standards-relevant assessment for prospective entry-level reading teachers and providing a means for existing teachers to add a reading endorsement to their active teaching licenses.
Prepare with our Praxis II Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
How do I sign up to take the Praxis II Teaching Reading exam?
First, make sure to verify your eligibility criteria with the state in which you intend to teach, because each state has its own requirements to sit for the Praxis II. Registration for the Praxis II Teaching Reading exam is a simple online process. Immediately after online registration, you will receive your test admission ticket, which you will bring with you, along with your photo ID, on your testing date. Should you need to do so, you can register by phone for an additional $35 fee; or, you can register by mail by submitting a registration voucher directly to ETS. Visit the ETS website for testing center locations and available testing windows in your area.
What fees are associated with the Praxis II Teaching Reading exam?
The Praxis II Teaching Reading (5204) exam costs $146 at registration. If you need to change your scheduled testing location, you will have to pay an additional $40 fee. Additional score reports will cost you $50 each after your initial score report.
What does the Praxis II Teaching Reading exam cover?
The Praxis II Teaching Reading exam is a computer-delivered exam consisting of 90 selected-response (multiple-choice) questions and 3 constructed-response (written) questions. You will be given 2 hours to complete the entirety of the exam. In terms of what you need to pass the Praxis II Teaching Reading exam, passing scores are determined by individual educational institutions and states. Visit your state’s department of education website, along with the ETS state information website, for specific passing score criteria. If you take the exam in a state that allows automatic score reporting, you will receive your initial score immediately after you finish the exam.
Praxis II Flashcards. Proven Praxis II test flashcards raise your score on the Praxis II test. Guaranteed.
The Praxis II Teaching Reading exam consists of six specific content categories covering relevant standards and topics. The following outline provides the content categories, number of questions per category, and approximate weighted percentages per category:
- Emergent literacy; approximately 15 selected-response questions, weighted at 12%
- Including: oral language (interrelationship between language development and reading skills), concepts of print (interrelationship between speech and print), and related concepts
- Phonological awareness; approx. 14 selected-response questions, weighted at 12%
- Including: interrelationship between phonemic and phonological awareness, word and syllable awareness, effective theory and practice, and related concepts
- Alphabetic principle, phonics, and word analysis; approx. 14 selected-response questions, weighted at 12%
- Including: differences between phonological awareness and phonics, encoding and decoding processes, developmental stages, and related concepts
- Comprehension and fluency; approx. 30 selected-response questions, weighted at 25%
- Including: relationship between students’ comprehension and knowledge, relationship between students’ cultural backgrounds and comprehension, strategies for enhancing reading comprehension, and related concepts
- Vocabulary; approx. 17 selected-response questions, weighted at 14%
- Including: use of context, strategies for word meaning confirmation, basic word relationships, grammatical functions, and related concepts
- Instructional processes; 3 constructed-response questions, weighted at 25%
- Including: instructional practices (fostering a literacy supportive learning environment), assessment (understanding a variety of assessment types), curriculum materials (recognizing different types of texts and instructional methods), and related concepts
Now that you have gained a better understanding of the registration process, expectations, and basic content of the Praxis II Teaching Reading exam, your next step is in-depth test preparation. When it comes to thorough test preparation, you need the most comprehensive, reliable test preparation materials you can find. To help you pass the Praxis II Teaching Reading exam on your first attempt, you need Mometrix Test Preparation’s comprehensive study resource: Praxis II Exam Secrets study guide.
In the Praxis II Exam Secrets study guide is the Praxis II Practice Test, including authentic Praxis II test questions. You also get expert tips designed to aid in reducing test anxiety, enhancing information recall, and improving exam performance. To augment the Praxis II Exam Secrets study guide are the comprehensive Praxis II Flashcards, which includes additional Praxis II Practice Test questions. Start preparing today: read the Praxis II Exam Secrets study guide, assess your knowledge, skills, and abilities using the Praxis II Practice Test and Praxis II Flashcards, and achieve the score you need to pass the Praxis II Teaching Reading exam on your first attempt.
Click Here for Praxis II Practice Test
by Mometrix Test Preparation | Last Updated: April 17, 2019