Free RPSGT Practice Test
1. Which of the following constitutes good sleep hygiene?
- Drinking alcohol before going to bed
- Watching TV in bed right before trying to go to sleep
- Getting up to do something relaxing after 20 minutes in bed
- Taking naps during the day
2. Atrial fibrillation is characterized by all of the following EXCEPT
- an atrial rate of 120-200 beats/min and a ventricular rate of 300-600 beats/min
- normal shape and duration of the QRS complex
- the presence of fibrillatory (F) waves instead of P waves
- a highly variable P:QRS ratio
3. In generalized anxiety disorder, polysomnography is characterized by which of the following?
- Increased stage 1 non-REM sleep
- Increased REM density
- Quick onset of sleep
- All of the above
4. Which of the following brain structures is involved in autonomic functions, homeostasis, endocrine processes, emotions, and the regulation of sleep?
- Mamillary bodies
- Posterior pituitary gland
5. For home treatment with positive airway pressure, proper humidifier care includes
- using only tap water for humidification
- emptying the water reservoir once per week
- washing the reservoir with bleach
- rinsing and air-drying the reservoir
Answers and Explanations
- C: The correct answer is that if one is not asleep within 20 minutes of going to bed, he or she should get up to do something relaxing until feeling sleepy. According to the principles of good sleep hygiene, the bed should only be used for sleeping and sex. Good sleep hygiene involves avoiding activities that interfere with sleep, such as smoking, drinking alcohol or caffeinated beverages, watching TV in bed right before trying to go to sleep, and taking naps during the day.
- A: The correct answer is that atrial fibrillation is characterized by a very irregular pulse with an atrial rate of 300-600 beats/minute and a ventricular rate of 120-200 beats/minute. The QRS complex is normal in shape and duration. Fibrillatory (F) waves are present rather than P waves. In addition, the P:QRS ratio is highly variable.
- A: The correct answer is increased stage 1 non-REM sleep. In a patient with generalized anxiety disorder, polysomnography shows increased stage 1 non-REM sleep, decreased REM density, and a delay in sleep onset.
- A: The hypothalamus has a role in almost all body processes, including autonomic functions, homeostasis, endocrine processes, emotions, and the regulation of sleep. By contrast, mamillary bodies are active in the memory of smells. The hippocampus is a brain region that is responsible for organizing and processing memories and spatial relationships, and for regulating emotions. The posterior pituitary gland stores and secretes oxytocin and antidiuretic hormone.
- D: The reservoir should be rinsed thoroughly with water or a vinegar solution and then air-dried. Only distilled water (not tap water) should be used for humidification. The use of tap water may erode the heating element. Proper humidifier care includes emptying the water reservoir each day (not once per week) and washing the reservoir in warm, soapy water (not with bleach).
Last Updated: 04/18/2018