Free TACHS Practice Test
1. To abet a criminal
2. He deplores their plan.
a. Begs for
c. Takes from
d. Really hates
Directions: Read the following passage, and then answer questions 3 and 4 based on the passage.
Hydrangeas are beautiful flowering plants that many people enjoy having in their yards. A fascinating thing about hydrangeas is that their blooms change color according to the particular soil environment. An ingredient in the soil that makes the difference is the metal element known as aluminum.
The presence of aluminum in the soil will give a hydrangea's flowers a blue color. The pH of the soil-that is, its balance of acid versus alkali-affects the availability of aluminum to the hydrangea plant. A lower, more acidic pH allows the plant to absorb aluminum from the soil. A higher, more alkaline pH prevents the hydrangeas from taking up aluminum from the soil. Without aluminum, the hydrangea's flowers are pink. Some plants have blooms that are purple, which is considered to be a variation of blue. It could also reflect an intermediate pH with more similar levels of acidity and alkalinity.
To get blue flowers on your hydrangeas, you can add aluminum sulfate to the soil; lower the soil's pH by adding organic materials, such as grass clippings, vegetable and fruit rinds, and coffee grounds to the earth and using a fertilizer that is high in potassium and low in phosphorus. To get pink blooms, you can add dolomitic lime (lime extracted from the mineral dolomite) to the soil to raise its pH and use a fertilizer high in phosphorus. Also, in areas with naturally acidic soil containing aluminum, you can grow hydrangeas in containers, like big flowerpots or planters, instead, filling the containers with soil-free planting mixtures that do not contain any aluminum.
3. What is the most direct or immediate cause of different colors in hydrangea blossoms?
a. The pH of the soil where plants grow
b. The presence of aluminum in the soil
c. The availability of aluminum to plants
d. The use of big flowerpots or planters
4. From the context of the passage, what is a fact that you can determine?
a. Organic matter and potassium create a lower pH in soil.
b. Lime and phosphorus tend to make a soil more acidic.
c. A higher pH in soil means that it contains less alkali.
d. A lower pH in soil means that it contains less acid.
5. 5(x +1) + 4(2x - 3) = 45. Solve for the variable x. What does x equal?
6. 9.4 x 102 =
Answers & Explanations
1. B: To abet means to aid, assist, or help someone, usually with something illegal; in fact, in U.S. criminal law, the phrase aiding and abetting refers to helping someone commit a crime. Abetting does not mean arresting (A), ignoring (C), or punishing (D) a criminal.
2. D: To deplore something means to hate or strongly disapprove of it, not to beg (A) or implore for it, to worship (B) or adore it, or take from (C) or detract or deduct from it.
3. C: According to the passage, the most immediate or direct cause of variation in the colors of hydrangea blossoms is whether aluminum is available to the plants, that is, whether the plants can absorb it. The presence of aluminum in the soil (B) is not enough by itself; the plants must also be able to take up that aluminum. The pH of the soil (A) determines whether the plants can do this. Thus, both the presence of aluminum in the soil and its availability to the plants affect their bloom color. Using pots or planters (D) is a suggestion for growing hydrangeas with pink flowers in areas where the soil is naturally acidic and contains aluminum.
4. A: According to the information given, organic matter and the mineral potassium both lower the soil's pH. Lime and phosphorus are described as ingredients that make a soil less, NOT more acidic (B); they are both alkaline substances. A higher pH in soil means it is alkaline and contains more, NOT less alkali (C). A lower pH in soil means it is acidic and contains more, NOT less acid (D).
5. B: Simplify the equation: 5(x + 1) + 4(2x + -3) = 45. Reorder the terms: 5(1 + x) + 4(2x + -3) = 45 = (1 * 5 + x * 5) + 4(2x + -3) = 45, so 5 + 5x + (-3 * 4 + 2x *4) = 45, so 5 + 5x + (-12 + 8x) = 45. Reorder those terms: 5 + -12 + 5x + 8x = 45. Combine like terms: 5 + -12 = -7; -7 + 5x + 8x = 45; 5x + 8x = 13x and -7 + 13x = 45. To solve for x, -7 + 13x = 45; move all terms with x to the equation's left, the rest to the right, and add 7 to each side: -7 + 7 + 13x = 45 + 7. Combining like terms, -7 + 7 = 0; 0 + 13x = 45 + 7, so 13x = 45 + 7. Then, 45 + 7 = 52, so 52 = 13x. Finally, 52 x 13 = 4; x = 4.
6. A: The term 102, or 10 squared, equals 10 times itself or 10 x 10 = 100. So, 9.4 x 100 = 940. The other answer choices all have the decimal in the wrong place.
7. D: The first figure is changed by switching the left and right positions of the two triangular shapes; (D) also switches the positions of the two semicircular shapes. (A) rotates the second 90°; (C) rotates the first figure 90°; and (B) rotates the third figure 90°.
8. B: The first figure, a 5-point star, is changed by removing 1 point to make a 4-point star in the second figure. The third figure, a 7-point star, is changed by removing 1 point to make a 6-point star (B). (A) is a 12-point star; (C) is a 24-point star; and (D) is not a symmetrical star but an asymmetrically shaped "explosion" figure.
Last Updated: 07/05/2018