The Texas Examinations of Educator Standards, better known as the TExES, is an exam used to evaluate your necessary skills and knowledge as a potential entry-level teacher in the Texas public schools.
Prepare with our TExES Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
If your plan is to become an educator of early-childhood through 6th-grade students in Texas, then the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 test is for you. Core Subjects EC-6 certification is granted for those who plan to teach art, English, health and physical education, math, music, science, or social studies at the elementary through 6th grade levels in the state of Texas.
How much does the TExES cost? How do I sign up to take the TExES?
The TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam costs $116 per test. This means that if you decide to take additional TExES tests beyond the initial Core Subjects EC-6 test (the Core Subjects 4-8 test, for instance), you will pay an additional $116. The exception is for retaking subject tests, which cost $58 per subject test.
You must pass all subject tests within the Core Subjects EC-6 exam in order to qualify for certification. You can retake any subject test 45 days after your initial test.
To register for the TExES Core Subjects EC-6, you must register online via the TExES testing website. You can also register for both the computer-administered test (CAT) and the paper-based test (PBT) over the phone; however, this can only be done for the PBT once the emergency registration period begins. It is recommended to register for any version of the TExES online.
Online TExES Core EC-6 (391) Prep Course
If you want to be fully prepared, Mometrix offers an online TExES Core EC-6 (391) Prep Course. The course is designed to provide you with any and every resource you might want while studying. The TExES Core EC-6 (391) Course includes:
- Review Lessons Covering Every Topic
- 600+ TExES Core EC-6 (391) Practice Questions
- More than 1,300 Electronic Flashcards
- Over 360 Instructional Videos
- Money-back Guarantee
- Free Mobile Access
- and More!
The TExES Core EC-6 (391) Prep Course is designed to help any learner get everything they need to prepare for their TExES Core EC-6 (391) exam; click below to check it out.
What does the TExES cover? How many questions are on the TExES?
The TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam includes five subject tests:
- English Language Arts and Reading
- Social Studies
- Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education
You will need to pass every subject test in order to earn your certification. There are 210 total questions on the exam, and you will be given a total of 5 hours for completion. Each subject test covers specific EC-6 standards for which you must demonstrate your knowledge and skills. The subject tests, content, standards, number of questions and time limits per section are as follows:
- English Language Arts and Reading: This section has a total of 45 questions, for which you will be given 1 hour and 10 minutes. This section comprises 21.5% of the test. The standards assessed in this section are as follows:
- Oral Language,
- Phonology and Phonemics
- Alphabetic Principle
- Literacy Development
- Word Analysis and Decoding
- Reading Fluency
- Reading Comprehension
- Written Communication
- Writing Conventions
- Assessment/Instruction of Literacy Development
- Research and Inquiry,
- Math: This section has a total of 40 questions, for which you will be given 1 hour and 10 minutes. This section comprises 19% of the test. The standards assessed in this section are as follows:
- Number Concepts
- Algebra and Patterns
- Statistics and Probability
- Math Processes
- Math Perspectives
- Math Learning/Instruction
- Math Assessment
- Professional Development
- Social Studies: This section has 40 questions, for which you will be given 50 minutes. This section comprises 19% of the test. The standards assessed in this section are as follows:
- Knowledge of social studies
- Value of social studies
- Instruction and assessment of social studies
- Science, Technology, and Society
- Science: This section has 45 questions, for which you will be given 55 minutes. This section comprises 21.5% of the test. The standards assessed in this section are as follows:
- Classroom/lab management
- Use of tools and materials
- Scientific inquiry
- Assessment of learning
- Interaction of science in everyday life
- Statewide physical science curriculum
- Statewide life science curriculum
- Fine Arts, Health and Physical Education: This section has 40 questions, for which you will be given 35 minutes. This section comprises 19% of the test. The standards assessed in this section are as follows:
- Art Standards I-V
- Development of Ideas
- Techniques for Personal and Creative Expression
- Student Appreciation of Art History and Diverse Cultures
- Analyzing, Interpreting, and Evaluating Works of Art
- Implementation of Age-appropriate Art Instruction
- Music Standards I-X
- Musical Perception and Performance
- Ability to Sing and to Play a Musical Instrument
- Music Notation
- Creating and Arranging Music
- Music History
- Ability to Evaluate Compositions, Performances, and Experiences
- Implementing Effective Music Instruction
- Management and Discipline Strategies
- Understanding Student Assessment
- Professional Responsibilities and Interactions
- Health Standards I-IV
- Relationship between Health and Behavior
- Concepts and Purposes of Health Education
- Effective School Health Instruction
- Effects of School Health Instruction
- Physical Education Standards I-X
- Movement Skills
- Principles of a Healthy Lifestyle
- Creating and Managing a Productive Learning Environment
- Knowledge of How Students Learn
- Providing Equitable and Appropriate Instruction and Communication
- Using Developmentally Appropriate Instruction and Communication
- Using Formal and Informal Assessment
- Evaluating the Effects of Your Actions
- Legal Issues and Responsibilities
- Theatre Standards I-VI
- Planning and Implementing Effective Theatre Instruction and Assessment
- Creating, Utilizing, and/or Performing Dramatic Material
- Producing and Directing
- Design and Technical Theatre
- Theatre from Different Cultures and Historical Periods
- Interrelationship between Theatre and Other Disciplines
- Art Standards I-V
Gaining a complete understanding of the content, structure, and importance of the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam is your first step in passing each subject test and earning your EC-6 certification. Getting quality sleep before the exam and caring for yourself physically will certainly help you succeed on exam day. Yet, when it comes to preparation, the most effective means of ensuring success on the TExES exam is to prepare using the most comprehensive test preparation materials available.
Mometrix Test Preparation provides a complete TExES study guide: TExES Secrets. In this guide, you get authentic TExES questions that aid you in recalling knowledge, reducing stress, and performing well on the TExES. The TExES Secrets study guide was composed by Mometrix Test Preparation’s standardized test researchers. These are the people who have uncovered the secrets of the TExES and are able to share with you the best methods of reducing your stress, performing your best, and earning the certification you need to begin teaching.
Along with the TExES Secrets study guide, Mometrix also offers test-takers the TExES Flashcards, including additional TExES Practice Test questions. Read the TExES Secrets study guide, evaluate yourself with the TExES Flashcards and Practice Test, and pass each of the TExES subject tests the first time. Passing the TExES the first time you take it will help you earn your EC-6 certification faster, which gets you into the classroom sooner.
Mometrix also offers a comprehensive TExES Core Subjects EC-6 Online Course. The course includes in-depth lessons, video reviews, practice questions, flashcards, and more. Start studying today with Mometrix Test Preparation’s TExES Secrets Study Guide and our TExES Online Course, and our TExES Flashcards.