The Texas Examinations of Educator Standards, better known as the TExES, is an exam used to evaluate your necessary skills and knowledge as a potential entry-level teacher in the Texas public schools.
Prepare with our TExES Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
If your plan is to become an early-childhood through 6th grade educator in Texas, then the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 test is for you. Core Subjects EC-6 certification is granted for those who plan to teach art, English, health and physical education, math, music, science, or social studies at the elementary through 6th grade levels in the state of Texas.
How much does the TExES cost? How do I sign up to take the TExES?
The TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam costs $131 per test. This means that if you decide to take additional TExES tests beyond the initial Core Subjects EC-6 test (the Core Subjects 4-8 test, for instance), you will pay an additional $131. The exception is for retaking subject tests, which cost $65 per subject test.
You must pass all subject tests within the Core Subjects EC-6 exam in order to qualify for certification. You can retake any subject test 45 days after your initial test.
To register for the TExES Core Subjects EC-6, you must register online via the TExES testing website. You can also register for both the computer-administered test (CAT) and the paper-based test (PBT) over the phone; however, this can only be done for the PBT once the emergency registration period begins. It is recommended to register for any version of the TExES online.
What does the TExES cover? How many questions are on the TExES?
The TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam includes five subject tests in English Language Arts, Reading, and the Science of Teaching Reading; Mathematics; Science; Social Studies; Fine Arts, Health and Physical Education. You will need to pass every subject test in order to earn your certification. There are 267 total questions on the exam, and you will be given a total of 5 hours for completion. Each subject test covers specific EC-6 standards for which you must demonstrate your knowledge and skills. The subject tests, content, standards, number of questions and time limits per section are as follows:
- English Language Arts, Reading, and the Science of Teaching Reading: This section has a total of 75 questions, for which you will be given 1 hour and 45 minutes. This section comprises 28% of the test. The standards assessed in this section are English Language Arts and Reading Standards I-XII, covering Oral Language, Phonology and Phonemics, Alphabetic Principle, Literacy Development, Word Analysis and Decoding, Reading Fluency, Reading Comprehension, Written Communication, Writing Conventions, Assessment/Instruction of Literacy Development, Research and Inquiry, and Viewing/Representing.
- Math: This section has a total of 47 questions, for which you will be given 1 hour (60 minutes). This section comprises 18% of the test. The standards assessed in this section are Mathematics Standards I-IX, covering Number Concepts, Algebra and Patterns, Geometry, Statistics and Probability, Math Processes, Math Perspectives, Math Learning/Instruction, Math Assessment, and Professional Development.
- Social Studies: This section has 41 questions, for which you will be given 35 minutes. This section comprises 16% of the test. The standards assessed in this section are Social Studies Standards I-X, covering knowledge of social studies, value of social studies, instruction and assessment of social studies, History, Geography, Economics, Government, Citizenship, Culture, and Science, Technology, and Society.
- Science: This section has 52 questions, for which you will be given 40 minutes. This section comprises 19% of the test. The standards assessed in this section are Science Standards I-IX, covering classroom/lab management, use of tools and materials, scientific inquiry, assessment of learning, interaction of science in everyday life, statewide physical science curriculum, and statewide life science curriculum.
- Fine Arts, Health and Physical Education: This section has 52 questions, for which you will be given 40 minutes. This section comprises 19% of the test. The standards assessed in this section are Art Standards I-V, Music Standards I-X, Health Standards I-IV, Physical Education Standards I-X, and Theatre Standards I-VI. These standards cover understanding of art, diversity, personal and creative expression, and related areas in art; music perception and performance, notation, arrangement, and related areas in music; purposes of health education, health and behavior, and related areas in health education; movement, individual and group motivation and behavior, and related areas in physical education; and theatre instruction, production, design, and related areas in theatre.
Gaining a complete understanding of the content, structure, and importance of the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam is your first step in passing each subject test and earning your EC-6 certification. Getting quality sleep before the exam and caring for yourself physically will certainly help you succeed on exam day. Yet, when it comes to preparation, the most effective means of ensuring success on the TExES exam is to prepare using the most comprehensive test preparation materials available.
Mometrix Test Preparation provides a complete TExES study guide: TExES Secrets. In this guide, you get authentic TExES questions that aid you in recalling knowledge, reducing stress, and performing well on the TExES. The TExES Secrets study guide was composed by Mometrix Test Preparation’s standardized test researchers. These are the people who have uncovered the secrets of the TExES and are able to share with you the best methods of reducing your stress, performing your best, and earning the certification you need to begin teaching.
Along with the TExES Secrets study guide, Mometrix also offers test-takers the TExES Flashcards, including additional TExES Practice Test questions. Read the TExES Secrets study guide, evaluate yourself with the TExES Flashcards and Practice Test, and pass each of the TExES subject tests the first time. Passing the TExES the first time you take it will help you earn your EC-6 certification faster, which gets you into the classroom sooner. Start studying today with Mometrix Test Preparation’s TExES Secrets Study Guide and our TExES Flashcards.
Click Here for TExES Practice Test
by Mometrix Test Preparation | Last Updated: May 23, 2019