Those seeking to teach history at the upper levels (7th through 12th grades) in the state of Texas first need to pass the TExES History 7-12 Exam and complete the other requirements for certification. This exam is a long and rigorous measure of your knowledge of history as well as your pedagogical skills and ability to create effective and engaging lessons for students.
How Much Does the TExES History 7-12 Exam Cost?
Prepare with our TExES Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
At the time of registration, you will need to pay an exam fee of $116. Before you can register, however, you will need to get an approval to test. To do that, submit an application along with the relevant documentation to prove you meet the criteria established by the state.
The criteria you need to meet depends on what sort of candidate you are. Texas allows the following types of candidates to take the test:
- Educator Preparation Program (EPP) candidates
- Certified out of state or out of country candidates
- Certification by Exam (CBE) candidates
- Charter school candidates
- Pre-Admission Content Tests (PACT) candidates
- Career and Technical Education (CTE) candidates with certain specialized skills and experience
Determine which category applies to your circumstances and then provide the documentation to prove that you’ve met the requirements to apply under that category.
TExES History 7-12 Practice Test
Which Fields of History Are Included on the Test?
There will be at least 100 multiple choice questions on the test, but you can also expect a few extra questions which are unscored. All questions will fall into one of four categories. Take a look at the outline below to see what you’ll be tested on:
- World History – 30 scored questions
- Ancient world civilizations
- World history from 600 AD to present
- Geography and culture in world history
- Government and citizenship in world history
- Economics, science, and technology in world history
- US History – 36 scored questions
- Exploration and colonization
- Revolutionary era and the early years of the republic
- Westward expansion, civil war, and reconstruction
- United States as a world power
- Political, economic, and social developments from 1877 to the present
- Geography and culture in US history
- Government and citizenship in US history
- Economics, science, and technology in US history
- Texas History – 20 scored questions
- Exploration and colonization
- Independence, statehood, civil war reconstruction, and aftermath
- Texas in the 20th and 21st centuries
- Foundations, Skills, Research, and Instruction – 14 scored questions
- History foundations and skills
- Sources of historical information
- Interpreting and communicating historical information
- Historical research
- History instruction and assessment
You will have a total of four hours and 45 minutes to get through all the questions. That’s a little under three minutes per question so make sure you take your time to really consider the response and select the very best choice.
What Score Do I Need to Get on This Test?
The TExES History 7-12 exam is scored on a scale of 100 to 300. You need to get at least 240 in order to pass and successfully fulfill this part of the certification process. If you don’t meet the minimum your first time around, you can retake the exam. However, your second attempt has to be at least 45 days after the date of your first attempt and you have to pay the full exam fee over again. So it’s definitely worth it to make sure you have plenty of time to prepare before your first attempt to avoid needing multiple attempts.
How Should I Prepare for the TExES History 7-12 Exam?
Studying for a history exam is a demanding task all its own and this exam will cover thousands of years human history from around the world so there is a lot you need to brush up on even if you are highly trained in history. Beyond the content itself, you should also hone important test taking skills like memorization, recall, reasoning, and the all-important art of educated guessing.
To help you do that as effectively as possible, get the Mometrix Study Guide and Mometrix Flashcards. The guide will come with a complete, chapter by chapter breakdown of all the history you need to know for the test. It’s been designed according to the exact curriculum standards set by the state of Texas.
It also comes with sample questions so you can practice applying your knowledge to the exact kinds of questions you will see on test day. The flashcards also provide a great review of the material and do so in an engaging and interactive format that has been proven to sharpen your memory and recall skills.
Click Here for TExES Practice Test
by Mometrix Test Preparation | Last Updated: April 9, 2019