Life Sciences is a fascinating subject. Cell science, the evolution of life, and science history are just a few of the topics educators teach students. In Texas, the TExES Life Science 7-12 (238) exam measures teacher skills in the Life Sciences area and ensures they’re qualified to teach the subject in grades 7-12.
Prepare with our TExES Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
How many questions are on the exam?
There are 100 questions on the TExES Life Science 7-12 (238) test, which is taken on a computer.
How much time do I have to complete the exam?
Candidates have 4 hours and 45 minutes to take the test. You should expect to be at the test center at least five hours when accounting for test preparation time.
Does that mean I need to arrive at the test center before my scheduled test time?
Yes. Please arrive at least 15 minutes ahead of time. Anyone who is late may not be allowed to take the test.
Is there a fee to take the test?
Yes. Candidates pay a $116 exam fee. Check your test materials to see if any other fees apply.
What content areas are on the TExES Life Science 7-12 (238) test?
The exam contains six different content areas called domains. Each domain tests a certain knowledge area.
- Scientific Inquiry and Processes. Topics include laboratory safety; basic first aid; safe learning environment procedures; using chemicals, tools, technology and other equipment safely; and charts, data, graphics, and other data communication.
- Cell Structure and Processes. Topics include chemical elements and reactions; prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells and their basic components; cell structure differences; photosynthesis and cellular respiration; and unregulated cell growth.
- Heredity and Evolution of Life includes DNA structure; mutations and their causes; meiosis and mitosis; gene transmission between generations; populations stability and change; and extinction theories.
- Diversity of Life includes organisms and the nutrients, oxygen, water, and other basic needs for life; energy and matter; plant systems; how internal and external stimuli impact the behavior of organisms; and behavior patterns.
- Interdependence of Life and Environmental Systems. Topics include energy flow; limiting factors and the impact of ecosystems; organisms and their impact on energy consumption and production; and populations basic characteristics.
- Science Learning, Instruction, and Assessment includes scientific understanding development; student motivation and assessment; assessment tools; and active learning.
What’s the minimum test passing score?
The minimum test passing scaled score is 240.
When will I be able to review my test scores?
Candidates should be able to access their exam scores via their test accounts about a week after they take the test.
When can I take the test?
Candidates have a wide variety of options, as they can take the test most days throughout the year. Check the test materials for available dates.
How can I find test center locations?
Candidates can search for test center locations online. The Texas Education agency has hired an independent company to deliver the test. Test centers are located across Texas and the country.
I’m sure I’ll need to show identification. What type should I bring?
Please bring two forms of ID. One should be a driver’s license, passport, or another form of government-issued ID. The second should contain your name and photo or a name and signature.
Are there any items that are banned from the test room?
Yes. There’s a long list of them, so it’s best to consult the test center rules. Mobile phones, electronic devices, certain bags, and jackets are among the items that can’t be brought into the test room.
I generally don’t do well on tests. What’s the best study guide to help me prepare?
You’re not alone. That’s why Mometrix is exactly what you need. Our study guide helps you prepare with expert insight on the topics you’ll see on the test. But the guide also provides strategies on how to prepare yourself by pointing out clues that can lead you to the question’s right answer. Our flashcards are the perfect tool to help you do well. They’re easy to carry around, answers are easy to understand, and you can study anywhere. If you’re taking the TExES Life Science 7-12 (238) test, these are the tools you need.
Click Here for TExES Practice Test
by Mometrix Test Preparation | Last Updated: April 5, 2019