To be a physical education teacher in Texas, candidates must take, and pass, the Texas Examination of Educator Standards (TExES) Physical Education EC-12 (158) exam. The test, administered by the Texas Education Agency, assesses whether the candidate has the requisite skills and knowledge to teach as an entry-level educator in their field of study. This guide will help you understand what’s on the exam and how to prepare for it.
How many questions are ono the test? How much time do I have to complete it?
There are 100 multiple-choice questions on the test. Some are in a single-question format in which candidates will be presented with a question or incomplete statement. Other questions are in a clustered format in which candidates examine information (called a “stimulus”) and then answer two or more questions related to the information.
The exam could contain unscored questions that don’t count toward the passing grade. Candidates have five hours to complete the computer-administered test.
Candidates must pay a $131 test fee. Even though the test is offered on a continual basis, candidates must sign up at least two days before the test is administered.
What are the categories on the TExES Physical Education EC-12 (158) exam and what knowledge areas do they test?
The test contains three content areas:
- Movement Skills and Knowledge
- Health-Related Physical Fitness
- The Physical Education Program
The exam assesses 10 standards that tests the candidate’s ability in the following areas:
- Movement skills and helping students develop those skills
- The benefits of an active, healthy lifestyle and how to motivate students to participate
- Understands how to use individual and group motivation and behavior techniques for the benefit of students
- Understands how students learn and develop physically, cognitively, socially and emotionally, and supports that development
- In a diverse society, provides equitable instruction to all students
- Uses effective strategies and techniques to prepare physically educated individuals
- Uses assessments, both formal and informal, to promote students’ development physically, cognitively, socially and emotionally
- Understands the impact actions have on others and seeks to grow professionally
- Collaborates with different constituencies, including colleagues and parents, to support student well-being and growth
- Understands the responsibilities and legal issues that relate to supervision, first aid, planning and instruction, risk management, safety and matching participants
Candidates much receive a score of 240 or higher to pass the exam. The exam is scored on a 100 to 300 scale. Test scores should be available in about four weeks after the exam, and candidates can see the scores by logging into their online account.
What time should I arrive?
Make sure you get to the test center before your assigned test time. Candidates who arrive late will not be allowed to take the test and will lose all test fees.
What can I expect on test day?
When you arrive, please make sure you bring your admission ticket. Candidates should also access their online account 24 hours before their test time to make sure there have been no test changes.
You should bring two forms of identification — a government-issued ID, like a passport or driver’s license, and a secondary form of identification, as TExES recommends. A driver’s license or passport are examples of acceptable forms of government ID, and a student ID is an example of an acceptable form of secondary ID. Remember, the name on your admission ticket must exactly match the name on your identification.
The test is administered at one of the designated testing centers in Texas.
What are the best test preparation materials to help me prepare for this exam?
Mometrix has a pair of excellent tools for those who want to take the TExES Physical Education EC-12 (158) exam. Our study guide unlocks the exam secrets that can help candidates successfully navigate the test. The study guide has been prepared by test experts who understand standardized tests. Our flashcards make studying easier since this is a portable system that can be used anywhere. These are both excellent preparation materials.