1. Which of the following did not contribute to differences in the lives of New England colonists vs. the lives of Chesapeake colonists during the 17th century?
- In Virginia and Maryland, female settlers greatly outnumbered male settlers.
- New England colonists had significantly longer life expectancies than did Chesapeake colonists.
- New England colonists had a better organized, more stable society than did Chesapeake colonists.
- New England colonists had educational advantages over Chesapeake colonists.
- New England could not support large farms, which resulted in a richer economy.
2. Which of the following is not true regarding British mercantilism and the American colonies?
- English mercantilists held the belief that the government should regulate all economic enterprise.
- The many crops produced on American colony farms contributed to English mercantilism.
- The Navigation Acts were passed by Parliament between 1650 and 1700 to further mercantilism.
- British mercantilism fueled wars with Holland, but did not contribute to American prosperity.
- Mercantilism raised prices of British goods for Americans and lowered prices of colonial goods.
3. Which of the following statements is not true about the Quakers?
- The colonies of Pennsylvania and Delaware were originally established to provide Quakers with religious freedom.
- The Quakers, though pacifists regarding war, were also aggressively subversive of social institutions and classes.
- The Quakers, while religious, did not assign much significance to the Bible or most human institutions.
- The Quakers were one of several radical religious groups formed in England around the time of the English Civil War.
- William Penn, a Quaker, established Pennsylvania to provide religious freedom, but there was initially no representative assembly.
4. Which of the following wars included no major army battles on American soil and no major changes in territories?
- Queen Anne’s War
- King William’s War
- King George’s War
- The French and Indian War
- None of the above
5. Which of the following statements is incorrect regarding the inception of the Georgia colony?
- Georgia was originally founded to create a buffer zone between South Carolina and Florida.
- British philanthropist General James Oglethorpe and his followers founded Georgia.
- The charter to establish a British colony in what is now Georgia was granted in 1765.
- Due to the founders’ extensive rules, few settlers came, and those few were unhappy.
- Georgia’s original settlers were British subjects who were economically unsuccessful.
6. Which of the following is true about the Enlightenment?
- The Enlightenment was a philosophical movement that began in America and spread to Europe.
- One of the most central premises of the Enlightenment was the importance of God in the world.
- John Locke believed that governments should not be deposed for violating social or political rights.
- In Enlightenment philosophy, traditional values, practices, and institutions were always upheld.
- Of those who embraced the Enlightenment in America, the best known was Benjamin Franklin.
7. Which of these Americans was not particularly associated with the Great Awakening?
- William Tennent
- Gilbert Tennent
- Theodore Frelinghuysen
- Benjamin Franklin
- Jonathan Edwards
8. Which of the following is a correct statement concerning the French and Indian War?
- Then-Major George Washington, dispatched to Pennsylvania to oust the French, succeeded.
- In 1756, this war extended over to Europe, where it became known as the Seven Years’ War.
- Colonial delegates included Thomas Jefferson, who proposed an intercolonial government.
- English Major General Edward Braddock defeated an ambush on the way to Fort Duquesne.
- The Treaty of Paris gave Britain all France’s territories in Canada, but not in all of North America.
9. Which of these factors was not a direct contributor to the beginning of the American Revolution?
- The attitudes of American colonists toward Great Britain following the French and Indian War
- The attitudes of leaders in Great Britain toward the American colonies and imperialism
- James Otis’s court argument against Great Britain’s Writs of Assistance as breaking natural law
- Lord Grenville’s Proclamation of 1763, Sugar Act, Currency Act, and especially Stamp Act
- James Otis, Samuel Adams, Patrick Henry, the Sons of Liberty, and the Stamp Act Congress
10. Which of the following statements is not true regarding the Tea Act of 1773?
- The British East India Company was suffering financially because Americans were buying tea smuggled from Holland.
- Parliament granted concessions to the British East India Company to ship tea straight to America, bypassing England.
- Colonists found that even with added taxes, tea directly shipped by the British East India Company cost less, and they bought it.
- American colonists refused to buy less expensive tea from the British East India Company on the principle of taxation.
- Many colonists felt the Boston Tea Party was wrong, but changed their minds upon the passage of the Intolerable Acts.
Additional Practice Questions
- CLEP American Government Practice Test Questions
- CLEP American Literature Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Analyzing Interpreting Literature Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Biology Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Introductory Business Law Practice Test Questions
- CLEP College Algebra Practice Test Questions
- CLEP College Composition Practice Test Questions
- CLEP College Math Practice Test Questions
- CLEP English Composition Practice Test Questions
- CLEP English Literature Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Human Growth and Development Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Humanities Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Information Systems Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Introductory Psychology Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Principles of Management Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Principles of Microeconomics Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Natural Science Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Social Science Practice Test Questions
- CLEP US History II Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Western Civilization I Practice Test Questions
- CLEP Western Civilization II Practice Test Questions
by Enoch Morrison | Last Updated: December 31, 2018