This free ATI TEAS 7 Science practice test is specifically designed to ensure that the test-taker is knowledgeable about the TEAS and is able to know what to expect when it is time to take the Science portion of the TEAS:
Prepare with our TEAS Study Guide and Practice Questions. Print or eBook. Guaranteed to raise your score. Get started today!
The Science portion will consist of 50 questions that address four main topics:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Scientific Reasoning
When taking this portion of the TEAS, you will have 60 minutes to finish.
ATI TEAS 7 Science Prep Course
You’ve made the decision to become a nurse. To be accepted by the college of your choice, you must submit the results of the four categories of your TEAS (Test for Essential Academic Skills) and attach your scores with your application(s). In addition to science, which we will cover here, you are required to take TEAS English & Language Usage, Reading, and Mathematics.
Mometrix Test Preparation is your best friend for this test because everything we have prepared for you is to prepare you to not only pass but excel in each category of the TEAS 7. As an added bonus, you will also find our guides helpful when you are a full-fledged nursing student because of the counsel you receive.
Each of the four categories is directly related to and instrumental in both your schooling and career; science, though, is perhaps the most relevant section, since medical tasks generally involve some form of science. Additionally, the field of science, itself, is constantly changing through medical breakthroughs that result from scientific research.
Among other responsibilities, a nurse compiles health histories and performs physical exams, provides health counseling and education, administers medications and wound care, and interprets patient information to determine needs and actions. All of these have at least one thing in common: science. Furthermore, the research and education concerning our biological processes has been and continues to be based on science. As the TEAS advances in each new chapter, the authors are very aware of advancements in science and ensure that these advancements are reflected therein. Likewise, Mometrix Test Preparation has the mission to provide every tool you will need to succeed on TEAS 7 and, for that matter, any exam you take throughout your education.
Why do I need to study for the Science section of the TEAS?
As discussed above, science is integral to nursing in education and application because it is central to most nursing and medical procedures and tasks. Science will also integrate with the other categories of TEAS 7: Reading, Mathematics, and English & Language Usage.
The TEAS 7, by nature and like all the earlier TEAS’ incarnations, is designed to measure academic knowledge. ATI is not concerned with your having a great degree of scientific knowledge already but how prepared you are to take entry-level nursing school science courses. Mometrix will help you prepare.
What’s New on the TEAS 7 Science Section?
If you are familiar with the last incarnation of TEAS—the TEAS 6—you will be glad to learn of the few changes in TEAS 7. The formerly 53 overall questions are now 50, six of which will be unscored.
The subcategories for the science section are as follows:
Human Anatomy & Physiology
This category contains 18 questions. Naturally, this one covers how the human body works and looks. Here are the topics you’re expected to know about:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the general orientation of human anatomy
- Describe the anatomy and physiology of the following systems:
- Respiratory system
- Cardiovascular system
- Digestive system
- Nervous system
- Muscular system
- Male and female reproductive systems
- Integumentary system
- Endocrine system
- Urinary system
- Immune system
- Skeletal system
Tip: Brush up on human anatomy’s basic elements.
There are 9 questions in this category, which deals with various aspects of microorganisms, as well as cell and protein structure. Here are the topics you’re expected to know about:
- Describe cell structure, function, and organization
- Describe the relationship between genetic material and the structure of proteins
- Apply concepts underlying Mendel’s laws of inheritance
- Describe the structure and function of the basic macromolecules in a biological system
- Describe the role of microorganisms in disease
There are 8 questions in this category, which deals with various aspects of chemical reactions, acids and bases, and atomic structure. Here are the topics you’re expected to know about:
- Recognize basic atomic structure
- Know the physical properties and changes of matter
- Describe chemical reactions
- Demonstrate how conditions affect chemical reactions
- Understand properties of solutions
- Describe concepts of acids and bases
There are 9 questions in this category, which deals with science from a fundamental level. This is an area where knowing HOW science works is more important than knowing scientific FACTS. Concepts include:
- Use basic scientific measurements and tools
- Apply logic and evidence to a scientific explanation
- Predict relationships among events, objects, and processes
- Apply the scientific method to interpret a scientific investigation
Here’s a tip:
This particular topic is generally learned in early high school years, so it may be tempting to slack off and think, “Well, I got this!” It may have been quite some time since you last reviewed this content, and the details of the scientific process may have faded into the years. Review how the scientific method works, the tools, and how scientific information is usually presented.
Keys to Succeeding in Science
As we suggested earlier, review the subject matter you think you already know. TEAS 7 Science is complex because science is greatly complex, by nature. You’ll want to do two main things overall:
- Keep track of info from multiple scientific disciplines.
- Keep track of info from subcategories of multiple scientific disciplines.
These can overwhelm you, so we have an approach for you to use.
- Don’t study one subject all at once; split each into smaller parts and study one at a time.
- As an example, you can split each bodily system to study in Human Anatomy and Physiology category and space them accordingly to work into your schedule.
- Know the Science exam is complex and you’ll generally have to dig deep into your studies and knowledge for the correct answers.
- Some questions will have very specific subjects.
- Read all questions thoroughly.
- Make good use of the Mometrix ATI TEAS 7 Science practice test (on our website) for firsthand experience and so you know what to expect.
- The practice test can also help you with the following:
- Timing and test efficiency
- Awareness of your own strengths and weaknesses
- Understanding of the formatting
- The practice test allows you to see what types of questions with which you had the most difficulty.
As you are practicing, or even when you’re taking the actual exam, you may want to simplify the questions before you start to answer them. If you will do this on all questions, it will greatly benefit you when you come to very complex ones.
You might want to make relevant notes in the margins about the questions, simplifying them into smaller, more workable pieces, and put together your own personal study plan.
With Mometrix Test Preparation, you can be ready to take this exam with confidence.
The TEAS 7 is, in reality, your first stepping stone to nursing school. Mometrix wants it to be your greatest one, and that is our single goal through the ATI TEAS 7 study guide, flashcards, and other resources. You can do your best. You can achieve excellence.