Free STAAR Grade 7 Mathematics Practice Test Questions
1. A triangle has the following angle measures: 98°, 47°, and 35°. What type of triangle is it?
2. A bag of coffee costs $9.85 and contains 16 ounces of coffee. Which of the following best represents the cost per ounce?
3. Triangle A has side lengths of 12 cm, 8 cm, and 16 cm. Triangle B is related to Triangle A by a scale factor of ¼. Which of the following represents the dimensions of Triangle B?
a. 4 cm, 2 cm, 8 cm
b. 2 cm, 3 cm, 8 cm
c. 3 cm, 2 cm, 4 cm
d. 6 cm, 4 cm, 8 cm
4. 18. A book has a width of 2.5 decimeters. What is the width of the book in centimeters?
a. 0.25 centimeters
b. 25 centimeters
c. 250 centimeters
d. 0.025 centimeters
5. The number 123 is the 11th term in a sequence with a constant rate of change. Which of the following sequences has this number as its 11th term?
a. 5, 17, 29, 41, ...
b. 3, 15, 27, 39, ...
d. 1, 13, 25, 37, ...
6. Which figure has 5 faces and 8 edges?
a. Triangular pyramid
c. Square pyramid
d. Triangular prism
7. A rectangular prism has a length of 14.3 cm, a width of 8.9 cm, and a height of 11.7 cm. Which of the following is the best estimate for the volume of the rectangular prism?
a. 1,512 cm"
b. 1,287 cm"
c. 1,386 cm"
d. 1,620 cm"
8. Fred designs a candy box in the shape of a triangular prism. The base of each triangular face measures 4 inches, while the height of the prism is 7 inches. Given that the length of the prism is 11 inches, what is the volume of the candy box?
a. 102 in"
b. 128 in"
c. 154 in"
d. 308 in"
9. Amy rolled a die and flipped a coin. What is the probability that she rolled an even number and got heads?
10. Edward draws a triangle with vertices at (1, 4), (5, 1), and (5, 6). If he wishes to reflect the triangle across the x-axis, which of the following vertices should he plot?
a. (-1, 4), (-5, 1), (-5, 6)
b. (1, -4), (5, -1), (5, -6)
c. (-1, -4), (-5, -1), (-5, -6)
d. (4, 1), (1, 5), (6, 5)
Grade 7 Mathematics
1. Answer: A
A triangle with an obtuse angle (an angle greater than 90°) is called an obtuse triangle
2. Answer: D
The cost per ounce can be calculated by dividing the cost of the bag by the number of ounces the bag contains. Thus, the cost per ounce can be calculated by writing $9.85x16, which equals approximately $0.62 per ounce.
3. Answer: C
Since the lengths of Triangle B are related to the lengths of Triangle A by a scale factor of ¼, each side length of Triangle A should be multiplied by the factor ¼ : 12 x ¼ = 3; 8 x ¼ = 2; 16 x ¼ = 4. The side lengths of Triangle B measure 3 cm, 2 cm, and 4 cm, respectively.
4. Answer: B
One decimeter equals 10 centimeters, so the following proportion can be written: 1 / 0.1 = x / 2.5. Solving for x gives x=25. Thus, 2.5 decimeters is equal to 25 centimeters.
5. Answer: B
All given sequences have a constant difference of 12. Subtraction of 12 from the starting term, given for Choice B, gives a y-intercept of -9. The equation 123=12x-9 can thus be written. Solving for x gives x = 11; therefore, 123 is indeed the 11th term of this sequence. Manual computation of the 11th term by adding the constant difference of 12 also reveals 123 as the value of the 11th term of this sequence.
6. Answer: C
A square pyramid has 5 faces and 8 edges. There are four triangular faces and a square base.
7. Answer: A
The dimensions of the rectangular prism can be rounded to 14 cm, 9 cm, and 12 cm. The volume of a rectangular prism can be determined by finding the product of the length, width, and height. Therefore, the volume is approximately equal to 14x9x12, or 1,512 cm".
8. Answer: C
The volume of a triangular prism can be determined using the formula V= ½ bhl, where b represents the length of the base of each triangular face, h represents the height of each triangular face, and l represents the length of the prism. Substitution of the given values into the formula gives V= ½ - 4 - 7 - 11, which equals 154. Thus, the volume of the candy box is 154 cubic inches.
9. Answer: A
The probability of getting an even number is &frac36;. The probability of getting heads is ½. The probability of both events occurring can be calculated by multiplying the probabilities of the individual events: &frac36; - ½ equals ¼ .
10. Answer: B
A reflection of a figure across the x-axis involves finding the negation (or additive inverse) of the y-value of each coordinate; the x-value stays the same. Negating each y-value gives the vertices (1, -4), (5, -1), and (5, -6).
by Enoch Morrison
Last Updated: 12/14/2017