Free PSB-RN Practice Test
1. The criminal was known for his knavery.
C: burglary ability
2. The patient exhibited signs of languor.
3. The Romans were able to macadamize a large portion of the Italian peninsula.
A: to pave
B: to supply
C: to connect
D: to protect
4. 10b = 5a -15. If a =3, then b =
5. (5 x 4) (2 x 2)=
6. Which of these numbers is a prime number?
Questions 7-10 are based on the following passage. The passage is an excerpt of a judicial review summary written by Bernard Schwartz.
Judicial review, the power of courts to determine the legality of governmental acts,
usually refers to the authority of judges to decide a law's constitutionality. Although
state courts exercised judicial review prior to the ratification of the Constitution, the
(5)most often traced to the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision Marbury v. Madison
(1803), which struck down an act of Congress as unconstitutional. In a now classic
opinion, Chief Justice John Marshall found the power of judicial review implied in the
Constitution's status as "the supreme Law of the Land" prevailing over ordinary laws.
(10)Both federal and state courts have exercised judicial review. Federal courts review
federal and state acts to ensure their conformity to the Constitution and the supremacy
of federal over state law; state courts review laws to ensure their conformity to the U.S.
Constitution and their own state constitutions. The power of judicial review can be
(15)exercised by any court in which a constitutional issue arises.
Judicial review gained added importance in the late nineteenth and early twentieth
centuries, as courts passed judgment on laws regulating corporate behavior and
working conditions. In these years, the Supreme Court repeatedly struck down laws regulating wages,
(20)hours of labor, and safety standards. This is often called the Lochner Era, after Lochner
v. New York, a 1905 decision ruling a New York maximum-hours law unconstitutional on the
grounds that it violated the Fourteenth Amendment. During this period, the
Supreme Court invalidated no fewer than 228 state laws.
(25)Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., dissenting from many of these decisions, urged judges
to defer to legislatures. In the later 1930's, the Supreme Court adopted the Holmes
approach-partly in response to the threat of President Franklin Delano Rooselvelt's
"court packing" plan of 1937. Deferring to legislative judgement, the Supreme Court
(30) thereafter upheld virtually all laws regulating business and property rights, including
laws similar to those invalidated during the Lochner Era.
Under the chief justiceship of Earl Warren (1953-1969) and beyond, however, the Court
moved toward striking down law restricting
(35) personal rights and liberties guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, particularly measures
limiting freedom of expression, freedom or religion, the right of criminal defendants,
equal treatment of the sexes, and the rights of minorities to equal protection of the law.
In another extension of judicial review, the Court read new rights into the
(40) Constitution, notably the right of privacy (including abortion rights) and invalidated laws
restricting those rights. Many other countries including Germany, Italy, France, and
Japan, adopted the principle of judicial review after World War II, making constitutional
law one the more important recent American exports.
7. Which of the following statements about judicial review does the passage best support?
A: States should defer to the Federal Government when interpreting the Constitution.
B: Judicial Review was started due to the Lochner Era.
C: The Constitution overrides state law in some cases.
D: The Courts do not have the power to regulate business.
E: Judicial Review was founded by Earl Warren Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
8. From the passage, it can be inferred that ordinary laws created by lawmakers must be within the framework of the Constitution. Which of the following sentences supports this claim the best?
A: Although state courts exercised...
B: Both federal and state courts...
C: Judicial review gained added importance...
D: During this period, the Supreme...
E: Deferring to legislature judgment...
9. Which of the following words best characterizes the content of the passage?
10. The word ratification as used in this passage refers to
11. Auditory impulses are interpreted in the ______ lobes.
12. Which of the following elements are not halogens?
13. Converting gas into a liquid is known as ________.
Answers & Explanations
Last Updated: 03/01/2017